Mileage Analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just drove another thousand miles this week and I'm up to about 77K on the Libby.

The funny thing (not ha ha, but strange) is that I get better mileage when I buy the unbranded gasoline at Discount Zone (convenience store), than I do at Chevron/Texaco where I have a card.

For instance, on Tuesday I had to go to Alexandria, LA and it was a 407 mile round-trip. I averaged 22.6 MPG and it took me 6 hours and 39 minutes to do it, mostly at 70+ MPH and I averaged 61 MPH during the 6:39.

If I would have used the Chevron or Texaco regular that figure would have been 20 MPG, maybe.

I asked the owners of that store what brand of gas that they use and they said it was sometimes Shell, sometimes Chevron, sometimes other stuff.

Weird huh?

I'm not complaining about the mileage or gas rates because I get reimbursed 48.5 cents a mile, so that trip netted me almost $200 for about $60 of gas.

I do have a K&N and Magnaflow.

Oh, we're still under $3.00 for gas around here...

smileyboy

Reaction score
You ****:D
We're at $3.35 here for the mid grade. I dont have a Libby yet, but that is what we use in our BMW 328i. We seem to get better gas mileage witht he Safeway gasoline than the stuff from Shell/Conoco. It is weird

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You cannot tell anything from 1mpg difference. That could be a difference type of blacktop that put more rolling resistance on the tires.. Head winds.. maybe you needed to use the bathroom.. anything.. :D

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Yesterday we went to fill up at Shell (Only gasoline we use) and they were sold out of the 87 octane and they were substituting it with their Shell Ultra which usually sells $1.37 per liter and now we "Enjoy a free upgrade with no additional cost to the consumer"
Now, I'm not one to buy into the hype of buying high grade gasoline because most vehicles (Except high performance cars) are designed for the cheap shit.

Well... I did noticed a appreciable gain in economy and engine performance.

Interesting.

Another thing you mentioned about the discount gas stations get an assortment of different fuel companies gasoline delivered to them.

My sister who lives just outside of Sacramento, California , drives an 18 wheeler with a huge beautiful stainless steal gasoline tanker behind it!
She Say's that she almost exclusively re-fuels only Chevron and then occasionally re-fuels discount service stations as well.

Over here we have a few discount gas bars that only receive Shell products.
However, the sell for the same price as a Shell station.

(Cheers)

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A dirty little secret of the gas station industry is that the base fuel at the local Shell is the same as the base fuel at the local BP, & is the same as the base fuel at the local quickie mart. The difference is in the additives that the companies have the refinery add just before it goes into the big shiny metal can. Those additives can effect gas mileage though.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
A dirty little secret of the gas station industry is that the base fuel at the local Shell is the same as the base fuel at the local BP, & is the same as the base fuel at the local quickie mart. The difference is in the additives that the companies have the refinery add just before it goes into the big shiny metal can. Those additives can effect gas mileage though.

This is 100% correct. It all comes out of the same pipeline.

And the one with the best additive package (here comes the marketing hype) is the best. Every Gas Co. has their secret propriatary ingredients additive package that they add to their brand and tell you it's the best. Who knows which one is best????

Some brands could be adding up to 10% alcohol which would give you a "little" less gas mileage overall and if your state doesn't require it to be posted on the pump, you wouldn't know.

Also, there are a lot of little variables, like Jeepster said.

Dave

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who owns what doesn't matter one whit, until the additives are added! All the crude destined for use in a geographical area, is mixed together into a singular pipeline which leads to your regions refinery... & there is most likely only one refinery for any given region. This refinery turns this common crude into the base gasoline, which will be sold at the Shell, or the Exxon, or the Chevron or the Quickie Mart. the gas only gets it's variations from the additives, not how many stocks the queen owns.

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Royal Dutch Shell owns most of the gas companies. It is the largest oil corporation on the planet! The queen of The Netherland owns the most shares.
BP is Shell.
As is Texico, Exxon, and several more.

You need to re-check your facts there, sport. "Royal Dutch" (or Shell Oil Products, U.S.) does not, in any way, own British Petroleum ("BP") nor do they own "Texico"(sic) (TEXACO is a registered brand of Chevron Products, USA) nor do they own Exxon (which is a brand of ExxonMobil). As to the Queen of the Netherlands being the majority stock-holder in Shell, you are several years behind the times. The Royal Dutch portion of what used to be Royal Dutch Shell was, at one time, owned largely by the royal family of Holland. Shell Oil Company is, now, essentially a British company (though it has no connection to BP).

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed!

In Chicago proper, regular unleaded goes for $3.75-$3.85 a gallon.
Out here in the Cook county 'burbs, we're down to $3.40-$3.50 per.

Figured it would have dropped some by now, in keeping with the rest of the country post holiday. Memorial Day weekend I was almost caught paying 3.85 just off Michigan Ave ala the Magnificent Mile, 20 cents less in Des Plaines. I managed to make it in, around town, and back out from a fillup in Merrillville, IN on my tank of $3.40. The Jeep got nice and cozy in the Rosemont el station that weekend, that's for sure. Here in DC it is $3.05 at the moment, $2.85 last weekend 20 miles south of the District in the deep suburbs. And we have 10% ethanol blend here, too. Still get decent mileage in the Charger. ~20 MPG, as high as 23 MPG for a V8

Just for giggles, here's a pic from the Gino's Rolling Meadows parking lot that I laugh at every time I go.
You must be registered for see images

threadjacked.gif

Last edited:

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured it would have dropped some by now, in keeping with the rest of the country post holiday. Memorial Day weekend I was almost caught paying 3.85 just off Michigan Ave ala the Magnificent Mile, 20 cents less in Des Plaines. I managed to make it in, around town, and back out from a fillup in Merrillville, IN on my tank of $3.40. The Jeep got nice and cozy in the Rosemont el station that weekend, that's for sure. Here in DC it is $3.05 at the moment, $2.85 last weekend 20 miles south of the District in the deep suburbs. And we have 10% ethanol blend here, too. Still get decent mileage in the Charger. ~20 MPG, as high as 23 MPG for a V8

Just for giggles, here's a pic from the Gino's Rolling Meadows parking lot that I laugh at every time I go.

threadjacked.gif

The after Memorial Day price drop is usually gradual, because we are still in the peak driving season. Prices really start to go low mid-September.

Have you tried Lou Malnati's? They don't have a cool hula-hoop sign, but I haven't been to Gino's since I found Lou's.... MAN, I miss Chicago!:cool:

Latest posts

Members online