Merc or jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

no fear

Reaction score
Hi
just curious to know if my 2002 2.5, is a merc or a jeep engin.
A friend of mine has a 2.7 grand cherokee and you can see the merc badge all over on the engin.

Thanks

no fear

Reaction score
Never mind found it.
Is a diesel engine manufacturing company in Cento, Italy, in Emilia-Romagna, an Italian region which is also home to Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati and Ducati.
Claudio Vancini and Ugo Martelli (hence the "VM") in 1947

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I ordered my 2002 CRD ten years ago (sight unseen) in SA the local advertisements and local test reports stated that it had the Mercedes diesel engine in it.
When the dealers finally got a CRD in for me to look at, I was shocked to see that it had the VM Motori engine in it and was tempted to cancel my order.
On reading up on VM though I saw that they had been supplying diesel engines to Jeep for years and had a very good record so I did not cancel.
The initial ads also stated that disc brakes were standard at the rear (only came on 2003 onwards models). I sent a strongly worded complaint to Jeep SA...they never responded but I suddenly saw that they had corrected their advertisements.
My CRD will be ten in may....best vehicle I have ever owned!

Pippobug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bill

I have also a KJ 2003 model but actually built October 2002 and it comes with Discs at the back. Like you, I love my my KJ CRD VM engine.

Fil.

KJandCJ

Reaction score
Heard also lot of positive feedback about the CRD, maybe the next one?