Manual vs Auto - Fuel Rating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MacAttack

Reaction score
Will the manual really get almost the exact same mileage as the auto? Every other vehicle I look at there is a substantial difference.

Just wondering because I'm thinking of buying a 2007 Liberty w/ Manual, but I just got done checking the mileage on my GMC truck I currently have which I thought was horrible, but it's actually 22 mpg city driving. Pretty good for the 14 yr old piece of junk that won't pass DEQ.

So if I get annoyed now with filling up the gas tank so often, I'm not sure if I could handle the Liberty with 18 or less city driving.

MacAttack

Reaction score
Does anyone out there own a manual?
I might buy one of these suckers today !!!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You might buy one today? Then just go do it.

People with the stick are reporting a few more MPGs... 18 to 20MPG is the lowest I've ever heard of.

MacAttack

Reaction score
If I get one today should I have the dealer put skid plates on it, or are they only needed for serious rock crawling?

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the skid plates. They are cheap, & the KJ has a lot of soft aluminum under there. It will be better for resale as well.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The automatics are generally heavier than manual gearboxes. Has an effect on fuel consumption. I suppose with a manual it depends on your driving style and ability to chose the best moment to change gears.

I drive a manual if you want to ask some qus.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own an 04 with the 5 speed manual and I feel I can do alot better than the rating.I find you can do alot of coasting and shift at a little lower rpm than the auto,I've been getting in the mid 20's for mpg's since new with some drop-off when the plugs start getting worn..

MacAttack

Reaction score
adamkrz said:
I own an 04 with the 5 speed manual and I feel I can do alot better than the rating.I find you can do alot of coasting and shift at a little lower rpm than the auto,I've been getting in the mid 20's for mpg's since new with some drop-off when the plugs start getting worn..

Do you work for Jeep marketing ? O:)
By coasting do you mean you put it in neutral when going downhill or do you mean something else?

I was almost ready go to the dealer and made the mistake of reading Consumer Reports at the bookstore and it said they got 10mpg in the city, 15mpg average overall. Now I read your reply and I'm thinking of going to the dealer again.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah most of the time just coasting in neutral,We have lots of hills here and going down some long hills here over a mile long at 65 mph,it's 700 rpm's rather than in 5th gear at 2200 rpm's saves some big time fuel,also around town just coasting to the stop signs helps.

02libby

Reaction score
I have an 02 Lib (hence the name) ans it is a manual. I like it. I have barely had any problems with it. I noticed it is louder than an auto, but I get better gas mileage too. I get about 22 on the freeway, keeping a light foot. My in-laws have a auto and they get about 18.

Erzebet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 spd MPG

I have 2006 Lib Renegade with a 6 speed - gas mileage around town sinks! 15MPG. Hwy is about 19MPG - still stinks! Only has 3000 miles on it - hope it gets better with age!

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: 6 spd MPG

Erzebet said:
I have 2006 Lib Renegade with a 6 speed - gas mileage around town sinks! 15MPG. Hwy is about 19MPG - still stinks! Only has 3000 miles on it - hope it gets better with age!

You should see some improvement as you break it in even more. However, my gas mileage never gets over 16 on and dips as low as 14!! Of course I'm running lifted with steel rims and 31" tires lol! Oh well that is the price I pay.

1ksfan

Reaction score
6-speed Mileage

I just bought a 2WD 6-speed about a month ago. So far, I average about 17-18 city and about 23 hwy with the cruise control on. I wish the MPG was like my PT Cruiser, but hey, it's a JEEP!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Re: 6-speed Mileage

1ksfan said:
I just bought a 2WD 6-speed about a month ago. So far, I average about 17-18 city and about 23 hwy with the cruise control on. I wish the MPG was like my PT Cruiser, but hey, it's a JEEP!
That sounds about right. I never saw 18MPG city with my 3.7L KJ.

The PT Cruiser isn't known for its MPG either... cool vehicle though.

jimheem

Reaction score
my wife is getting around 18, mostly country roads, not quite highway but not quite city - and she is still getting used to it. This is with a 5 speed manual. I can only assume, when shifted properly, the 6 speed could do better.