Manual ****** Towing Again...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've towed our empty horse trailer with my KJ before, but that's all I've ever towed, and it wasn't exactly heavy (being empty and all =P). This time I was planning on towing our boat, which weighs less than the 3500 lbs my KJ is rated to pull (considering the manual ******). My dad is concerned about the stress that will be placed on the engine--I'll be towing it up through the Adirondack mountains, which is about a two-hour drive when I'm not towing anything behind me. There are a number of hills, but not til the last leg of the trip. The roads are paved (no dirt or anything like that to cause more stress). I plan on taking it out in the morning and testing it on a few hills around here, and am basically just trying to convince my dad to let me pull it so he doesn't have to make two trips (pulling our camper up with the Ranger on one trip and the boat in the second trip) and waste a crapload of fuel.

Anyone ever towed with a manual on a long trip before? How did it go? My KJ has 129,000 miles on it, I just had the brakes checked, the oil changed, the ****** fluid was changed a few thousand miles ago, and I even bought myself a pair of extendo-mirrors to see around the boat. As far as I can tell, there's no reason it couldn't make the trip, but now he's got me worried. Gotta love fathers -.-

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of boat do you have and how do you know it weighs less than 3,500lbs? Any kind of run-a-bout thats 18 feet or over is going to have a hard time weighing less than 3,500lbs if not right on it unless its some really light boat. Does the boat at least have good working surge brakes?

Its up to you. The more stuff you tow the sooner you'll be replacing that clutch.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be OK. Just let the clutch out as fast as you can without popping it. I pull a corn/bean head all over the place and every once in a while I’ll move an empty grain cart with the Libby. It’s all in the feet work, get the stress off the clutch as quickly as you can to avoid burning it up