maintence question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the manual for schedualed maintenced it read that the axle fluids need to be changed every like 15,000km. Is this correct or no because it also says only for heavy towing etc on this indicated mark but that mark is on everyone that says to replace the axle fluid. That manual makes my head hurt.. lol

2003KJ

Reaction score
If you do a lot of heavy towing, then I would change it at that time period.

If you dont (and most of us dont) then it's not necessarily an issue. That being said however, I did change mine right around the suggested time period, but I did it myself (was quoted $150USD PER AXLE from the stealership). I did it myself for the cost of a tube of RTV and a few quarts of the appropriate gear oil.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i have a shop that does free labour for me so thats not the issue. I see some maintaince is coming up soon for me. (48,000km mark for tune up)

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anybody else want to shed some light on this? why the manual says 96,000km for transfer case but someon here said 30,000

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems there are several inexplicable differences between the Owners Manual and the Service Manual. My Owners Manual is the Mexican version, but there are some huge differences.
The Owners Manual says to change axle oils at 60,000km for normal use and 30,000 for severe use, whereas the Service Manual says 19,000km for severe use. The schedule goes up to 192,000km and doesn't even mention the axles for normal use.

The transfer case is at 50,000km in the Owners's and 192,000km in the Service. This is for normal use, half these km for severe use in both manuals.

As for the auto transmission, it's 40,000km for normal and 20,000km for severe use in the Owners Manual, but 163,000km for normal and 48,000km for severe in the Service Manual.

I've read in several places, that the best way to keep your auto transmission in good shape and avoid expensive repairs is to do regular oil changes, so I'll be changing mine, along with the filter, at 48,000km. I'll probably go with the Service Manual figures for the axles and transfer case.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the type of oil for the transmission ,the amount needed and the gasket order number if needed, and have you the same info for the transfer case and axles.thanks

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The manual transmission uses NSG370 - Mopart Manual Transmission Lubricant
MS-9224, 1.5 litres. There is a drain plug on the bottom and a fill plug on the side, so you don't need a gasket.
The transfer case uses between 1.4 and 2 litres of ATF+4, depending on the transfer case you have. Same system for drain and refill, two plugs.
The axles use:

FRONT AXLE
186FIA (Model 30) - Mopart Lubricant 80W-90

REAR AXLE
8 1/4 - Mopart Gear Lubricant 75W-90 (Trailer
Towing - Mopart Synthentic Gear Lubricant 75W-140

NOTE: Trac-lokT equipped axles require 118 ml (4
ounces) of Limited Slip Additive be added to the
lubricant.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot this:
The front axle has a drain plug, but the rear is drained by removing the rear cover. There is no gasket, you re-install with RTV sealant.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply i forgot to mention mine is an auto, and how will i know if i have the trac-lok t axles? are there any visible signs to indicate this.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since i am on the subject of maintence. what kind of plugs do you guys use when you had to change them for the tune up? Few people i have talked to recommended AC delco platinum spark plugs. Opinions?

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm...i was always told to stay away from bosh platinum plugs, apparently they burn very quickly. I'll have to check them out for kj's..

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
/me shruggs, i have no plugs =(

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bosch Platinum... NOT +2 or +4... just the regular plug.

What's the problem with the +2's and +4's Marlon?
I bought a set of +2's a while back, I suppose I'll just use them anyway, do they have a shorter life or something.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how often should i replace the fuel filter on this thing? Also do i dare ask where its located? lol

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
What's the problem with the +2's and +4's Marlon?
I bought a set of +2's a while back, I suppose I'll just use them anyway, do they have a shorter life or something.

I've heard that the electrodes have a ... ahem... tendency to fall off and that's not good now is it? Plus they offer no real benefit over the regular Platinum plug.