Maintenance recommendations...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

claggie

Reaction score
I am about to buy my daughter a 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport (2x4) with only 35,000 miles. It has a clean Carfax and appears to have all the required maintenance done, except for the spark plugs. It has a new battery and new tires.

I was thinking of just getting everything done to make sure it is ready to go. Would anyone recommend anything else that is not on my list:

• Replace engine oil and filter
  • Replace engine air filter
  • Coolant flush (w/ HOAT)
  • Transmission flush (w/ ATF-4)
  • Replace power steering fluid
  • Replace brake fluid, pads and machine rotors
  • Replace PCV valve
  • Drain and refill rear differential
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Inspect all hoses and belts
  • Inspect throttle body, clean if necessary
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great start! Don't forget the air filter. Also wouldn't hurt to take a peep at the inside of the throttle body and see if it needs a cleaning. Make sure you use HOAT for the coolant and ATF-4 for the transmission.

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hybrid organic acid technology. Just a type of coolant that you MUST use for these engines.

claggie

Reaction score
CzarKJ,

I know there are probably plenty of engine oil and spark plug discussions, but what would be your personal recommendations?

Thanks - Chris

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want to use regular copper plugs on these engines...NGK works well for me. As for engine oil, use 5W30 in the brand of your choice (everyone has their personal favorite!).

One more thing: I personally wouldn't do a trans flush, but just a pan drop and filter change with any brand of ATF+4 (they are all fine).

claggie

Reaction score
Belvedere - can I ask why not a Transmission fluid flush. Just curious. If I drop the pan, is there a gasket that needs replacing?

Also, I like to use Mobile 1 full synthetic for my engine oil of choice. If I did, do you think 5k change intervals is ok for these vehicles? Thanks for the advise.

(PS - I couldn't agree more with your quote in your signature line...)

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Champion, autolite or ngk. As long as it is a copper core and nothing fancy can't go wrong with the plugs. I prefer champion myself. That synthetic is fine as long as 5w30. 5k is also fine and recomended in the manual. Just get a good filter (napa gold, wix, purolator) avoid anything orange.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
transmission fluid exchange is fine.

You most likely have the 42RLE ****** and that pan has gasket options otherwise you can use RTV.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
While you're flushing the radiator I would clean the coolant reservoir. Every one I've seen looked pretty grungy. As I recall, it only takes two bolts to remove it. Then give it a good scrubbing out.

I'd also inspect all of the vacuum hoses. The miles aren't the problem, in your case, but the years may be.

While you're at it, have a good look at the power steering hoses. They are a pain to replace and if you spot a problem before you sign on the dotted line you can see if the seller will take care of it.

Check all four speeds on the A/C blower fan. The resistors which control them are notorious for failing. It's an easy fix, and if you need to do it search the forum here for a replacement. There is a better alternative resistor pack than buying another OEM one.

Look for rust under the third brake light. It's easy to pop it out and lots of nasty stuff in the rust department gets its start there. Check the rocker panels as well. Those are the two main areas where oxidation starts to take its toll.

See if the manual is in the easy-to-overlook spot above the glove compartment. We've had people who bought their Liberty used and didn't even know they had one for months or even years. :icon_lol:

Check for recalls. If it doesn't have a hitch, Chrysler will comp you one.

If it comes with Infinity sound, make sure all the speakers are good. The Infinity system has a small amp built into each speaker and they occasionally go bad.

Look for torn or leaking seals on the CV joints. Fixing that early (if necessary) is easy and will save you money as opposed to waiting too long.

You might see if there is any record of the window regulators needing replaced. LOTS of people have had trouble with those.

I bought my 2007 two years ago today and it has been great. Mine had 42,000 miles on it and still looks brand new. Your daughter is a lucky gal! :favorites13: