Low Fuel Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased an 02 Liberty Sport V6 and am loving it. I am on my first full tank of gas since buying it and was wondering at what point on the gauge the low fuel light comes on while driving.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure its 2.5gal but I'm not exctly sure. Pegged on empty I've never gotten more than 17 or so gal in my 19.5gal tank.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the light comes on, I have about 4.5 gallons left (can fill 15 gallons). When I pin the needle to E (I just did that this weekend. Not fun...), the most I've ever filled was 17.1. I never suggest going that low...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that the tank sizes are different. so even though the low fuel light might come on at 2.5 or 4.5 gallons left in the tank, different years will take more fuel than others to fill it up. (not sure what it is exactly)..

So an 02 and 03 had a 18.5 gal tank.
An 04 had a 19.5 gal tank.
An 05-07 had a 20.5 gal tank.

So figuring how many gal were left in the tank when the light comes on by how much fuel it takes to fill the tank depends on the year of the KJ.

The owners manual probably tells you how much fuel is left in the tank when the low-fuel light comes on but I am too lazy to look it up at the moment.

Dave

blackvyper

Reaction score
I just purchased an 02 Liberty Sport V6 and am loving it. I am on my first full tank of gas since buying it and was wondering at what point on the gauge the low fuel light comes on while driving.

When my light comes on I have about 12 liters left. 2002 KJ Limited.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the light comes on, I have about 4.5 gallons left (can fill 15 gallons). When I pin the needle to E (I just did that this weekend. Not fun...), the most I've ever filled was 17.1. I never suggest going that low...

Don't forget that the tank sizes are different. so even though the low fuel light might come on at 2.5 or 4.5 gallons left in the tank, different years will take more fuel than others to fill it up. (not sure what it is exactly)..

So an 02 and 03 had a 18.5 gal tank.
An 04 had a 19.5 gal tank.
An 05-07 had a 20.5 gal tank.

So figuring how many gal were left in the tank when the light comes on by how much fuel it takes to fill the tank depends on the year of the KJ.

The owners manual probably tells you how much fuel is left in the tank when the low-fuel light comes on but I am too lazy to look it up at the moment.

Dave

Right. Mine was an '04 so I have 1 more gallon than you. Just don't let the fuel run too low. It's not like you're paying any more for gas or getting different mileage. You just might have to fill up a little more often. And that's a lot better than having to replace the fuel pump...