Lost my only key...how screwed am I?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Part of the charges are for the keys themselves and if you look on ebay you will find them cheaper , but still require programming. So for those that are not in a hurry and have one current key this is alternative, and allows to always have two..... if one has been lost.
I wonder if there are any locksmith services that can do the re-programming etc and that also may have alternative Senty key blanks available, for a more reasonable cost??

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you must work for a dealer or build the key cutting machines, you seem to have a lot of attached feeling to them and the whole situation
No I don't work for a dealer(not anymore).I do work as a tech and know the cost of these special tools required,which is far from cheap, and yes the cost to cover the tools and upkeep is passed to the customer.

As a tech I must buy and upkeep all my tools myself.Suppose you don't need $60,000 in tools that you had to buy out of your pay for your job now do you?

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
It is a shame that people/companies desire to make a profit. Even off a machine and process that is used once in a blue moon.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a shame that people/companies desire to make a profit. Even off a machine and process that is used once in a blue moon.
The DRBIII and StarScan are used everyday at every Chrysler dealership,it's the main scan tools for Chrysler vehicles.To cut the key is the easy/cheap part and is done on any key cutting machine.The programming requires the high doller scan tools.When I did work at the dealer they where cutting/programming like 100 keys a week for customers,it's was a very common problem(poeple loosing keys).

The scan tools are not cheap either,start at about $6000+ brand new,then the delaers must pay to access Chryslers website for programs and such,and have to pay for the yearly update($600+ per scanner) and most times they will have 3+ scanners which get's expensive fast.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score

The DRBIII and StarScan are used everyday at every Chrysler dealership,it's the main scan tools for Chrysler vehicles.To cut the key is the easy/cheap part and is done on any key cutting machine.The programming requires the high doller scan tools.When I did work at the dealer they where cutting/programming like 100 keys a week for customers,it's was a very common problem(poeple loosing keys).

The scan tools are not cheap either,start at about $6000+ brand new,then the delaers must pay to access Chryslers website for programs and such,and have to pay for the yearly update($600+ per scanner) and most times they will have 3+ scanners which get's expensive fast.

I think my sarcasm was missed.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
So If you loose your only Sentry key while on the road 1000 miles away from home and dealer is closed ..can a 24 hour auto locksmith get you another working key, or are you dealer bound only on Monday morning?
Am I safe to assume only a dealer can cut and then program keys then?
Or is it possible one of the larger auto locksmith companies may have the Star Scan equipment?

Last edited:

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i lost my only key i payed the 150 for the key at the dealar and then 90 for a locksmith to program the key on site so i had no need to tow the jeep to the dealar

Chris_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I don't work for a dealer(not anymore).I do work as a tech and know the cost of these special tools required,which is far from cheap, and yes the cost to cover the tools and upkeep is passed to the customer.

As a tech I must buy and upkeep all my tools myself.Suppose you don't need $60,000 in tools that you had to buy out of your pay for your job now do you?

as a photographer, i must maintain the $15-20,000 worth of equipment, not to mention rent and utilities on my studio. that doesn't mean i charge $250 to turn on my camera

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as a photographer, i must maintain the $15-20,000 worth of equipment, not to mention rent and utilities on my studio. that doesn't mean i charge $250 to turn on my camera
Yeah it's only $125:idiot:.

Heck my tool box alone is worth $12,000.

The shops also have to pay ultra high insurance,maintain the lifts($1500+ for each per year),waste oil/filter disposal,waste tire disposal,heat,eltectric,water,coffee,computers,software,buy vehicle specific tool kits($100,000+ each for 20+ vehicles),safety class's,certifications,EPA inspections,OSHA inspections,fire marshall inspections,and the list goes on and on.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank god I don't have the sentry keys, whew!!! My Jeep only came with 1 key and 1 fob, so I went to the dealer to get 2 spare keys made. All I needed was my VIN and Dude just cut them and handed them to me, free of charge he said. I was like, sweeeet!!! I ordered a second fob online and programmed that myself and now I have 2 full sets and a spare key in my wallet :D

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For less then the price of a sentry key and program you can buy the stuff to bypass it(what pro's use to jack vehciles).

Yeah, if someone is going to jack my Jeep then they are going to, sentry key or not. It's just a nuisance in my opinion. I lock it, that's good enough for me. Otherwise I have insurance and the police.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Uh huh. I understand that but I like anything that helps keep my Jeep in the driveway or parking lot. Someone tried stealing my friend's KJ.. They didn't get past busting the ignition. :)