Looking For Suggestions (Upgrading Tires / Wheels On 2006 Liberty CRD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lizards of Oz

Reaction score
I am looking for some suggestions on a tough looking set of wheels and tires to go on my stock 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD. I prefer a 16" black wheel with an aggressive looking tread tire. I'm mainly just looking for something bigger and better for looks, but I still want it to do good on the road as I do a lot of driving on the road with some off-roading mixed in. I don't want to lift the vehicle, so I want something that will enhance the looks and performance of the vehicle without any modifications being needed to to rubbing. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks a lot.
Matt

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quicky to think about...

Nothing is really "Aggressive Looking" and road-worthy at the same time. You can get the basic like Dueller Revos, or BFG All-Terrain TA KOs. But neither are really aggressive looking. Ones you get past them into the mud terrains you get the road noise and worse mileage.

JimKJSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say you are describing something along the lines of BFG All Terrain KOs or what I favor the P rated General Grabbers for the 60000 mile warranty. I'm not going that aggressive though because I don't want a MPG hit. No particular order I'm considering Bridgestone, Hercules, Nokian and Pirelli. Stock suspension go with P245-70R16

Lizards of Oz

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. It sounds like I've got the tires narrowed down to the P245-70R16. I just have to decide which brand. Now how about the wheels? Will the Wrangler Rubicons 16x8 wheels fit my Liberty with the stock suspension? How about any of the Moto Metal rims? I just want to make my Liberty stand out from all the rest out there which is why I want to switch my wheels. The stock wheels aren't bad, but I just want a change.

JimKJSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rubicons sure look sweet, but I'm kinda partial to the rims that came on my 05 renegade. I don't dislike them enough to go to something else. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think with the wider rubicon rims are more likely to rub. I actually saw a renegade rim for sale on ebay the other day. It was a take-off from a spare.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember to watch your backspacing when ordering wheels, you have to have as close to the stock 5 1/2" as possible. Lots of wheels out there with 5 inch spacing, any more and you start smacking things that the stockers will run fine in. Why not just paint the stockers black?

Lizards of Oz

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what have you got on your CRD Liberty? I'm assuming that's what you have based on your screen name.
Matt

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I settled for Rubicons. I like them just fine, but the ones I REALLY wanted are called Desert Rattlers. Couldn't get the War Department's approval after buying the lift at the same shop. I would still run a set if not for the approval process. It was a Christmas thing and cost me a new diamond ring in addition to the cost of the lift. OUCH!

I have seen them in person and they are sweeeeeet! Check them out here:

http://www.desertrat.com/products/?id=4375

Lizards of Oz

Reaction score
Do you have to have a lift for the rubicons to work? Those rims are nice by the way.
Matt

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say no. The rims would be fine by themselves, it's the stock tires that come on em, 245/75/16, that would cause a problem.

I have the Rubi rims. Love the way they widen the stance.

Members online

No members online now.