Looking for answers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C3rv32a2

Reaction score
Hello to all,

I'm a first time user.

I owned a Jeep Liberty 2002 4W 3.7L

I has been working great. but a few days ago i had to use it for a trip. On the road when there was a long downhill or a steep. Check engine light started to blink. When I came out of the downhill the check engine light stopped blinking but it stood on.

Some time depending of the downhill when I cam out of it and press gas again it did not respond and started to shake a little. I pulled over, turned off the engine, turn it back on and like nothing happen. The vehicle responded great, check engine light keep on.

I when in to an auto zone so they can scan it and the code that comes up is P0300.

After 2 or 3 days of driving around the check engine light turned off, when I got back from the trip same thing happened again on a downhill or steep.

Any ideas on what could me the problem?

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello to all,

I'm a first time user.

I owned a Jeep Liberty 2002 4W 3.7L

I has been working great. but a few days ago i had to use it for a trip. On the road when there was a long downhill or a steep. Check engine light started to blink. When I came out of the downhill the check engine light stopped blinking but it stood on.

Some time depending of the downhill when I cam out of it and press gas again it did not respond and started to shake a little. I pulled over, turned off the engine, turn it back on and like nothing happen. The vehicle responded great, check engine light keep on.

I when in to an auto zone so they can scan it and the code that comes up is P0300.

After 2 or 3 days of driving around the check engine light turned off, when I got back from the trip same thing happened again on a downhill or steep.

Any ideas on what could me the problem?

That code is for misfires. I would check you're spark plugs and coil packs. I have had coil packs fail and cause my Jeep to bog and have no power. Spark plugs and coil packs are very easy to inspect/replace.

C3rv32a2

Reaction score
Thanks,

Before the trip I replace the spark plugs. Forgive by ignorance but if it was a problem with I spark plug or coil pack should it fail more often or keep the engine check light on and not just only on a downhill?

tinyejp

Reaction score
The hill could just be coincidence. I would try to replicate the conditions a few more times to be certain if the terrain makes a difference. If it is consistent and repeatable, I'd start looking for a loose or intermittent connection. Could be something is coming loose when the Jeep is in a certain orientation.

Check/clean battery connections. They can cause all sorts of funny things to happen, and it's an easy place to look.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Misfire

I had the same thing happen to me with the same symptons. #6 and #3 cylinders both set misfire codes and the cylinders are on opposite banks. I hypothesize it was moisture in a tank of gas as I had just filled up. After shutting the engine down and restarting, everything was normal. I erased the codes and have driven over 600 miles since with no repetition. Could you have had moisture in your gas?

C3rv32a2

Reaction score
Hello libertybob and tinyejp

This happen to me closing in to Las Vegas coming from phoenix so there is a lot of ups and downs. Each time I got a long downhill same thing happen. I stayed in Las Vegas for a few days and after 2 days check engine light went off by itself.

When I returned same thing happen to me on the downhills and only on downhills, going up I had no problem, liberty responded correctly.

If I have moisture on the as tank I do not know, how can I check and repair this?

Before I left I made an oil change, oil filter and air filter change, also I changed the spark plugs, I put in NGK iridium, they were recommended.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Always use what is recommended in the under the hood sticker! (gap them right too)
Jeep likes copper core plugs!
54024[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

The Jeep may not like those Iridium plugs at all !!
If you want to see it run well....:gr_grin:
54026[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Fuel related ethanol moisture problems try Star Tron Link: http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-tron-gasoline-additive?category_id=587

Attachments

• NGK%20Spark%20Plug%20Gap.jpg
    NGK%20Spark%20Plug%20Gap.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Jeep%20Spark%20Plug%20Type.jpg
    Jeep%20Spark%20Plug%20Type.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't listen to what most parts peddlers tell you... Going to the more precious metal or 'better' sounding spark plug doesn't mean it's necessarily better for your vehicle. We just had a lengthy 'argument' over this. There's some things that those bastards at Chrysler got right and one of them is the correct plugs for your vehicle! :waytogo: Like I said in that other thread though.. The answer is obvious, just pop your hood!