Lift?...Now Approved!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since I took my new '07 KJ offroad a few weeks ago (with a friend in a Pre-Runner Tacoma) and quickly learned of the "car-like" clearance of the front skid (as compared to his truck...not even funny), I have been hinting at getting a lift for the Libby to my wife. She's been blowing me off complaining about "it will make it harder to get into" and "aren't that what the skid plates are for?" The normal arguments. She just has no idea about how bad it is...smacking little rocks and digging into trail humps when the ruts get "deep."

Today we went out into the desert to do some wheeling and hiking. Keep in mind that I know how to plant tires on rocks and how to pick a good line to avoid damage...but as you know, there are just times when you have NO choice but to scrape. First time we scraped over something a normal car could clear, my wife was like "WTF? Is this a Jeep?" Second time, "That's ridiculous!" After that, we began playing the ever-so-popular stock Libby game of "Guess if we can clear that little rock without scraping...or not." It was fun as it seemed to be hard to accurately choose the correct answer due to suspension flex at time of impact, etc.

So we stopped to eat lunch and are sitting in front of the Libby so that the front skid is almost at eye level. My wife says "I can't believe how little clearance it has. I think Jeep was a little deceptive in their clearance specs in the brochure." And then, "I think my Miata has that much clearance." (Note...it doesn't...hehe) I'm starting to like where this conversation is going so I start waxing poetic about how nice a coil lift would be, that we would get another 2.5 inches under that front skid, etc., etc. So then she asks me how much one would cost and she does not cringe so I know she's in the passenger seat in my trip down "Rusty's Coil Lift Rd." Lift will be ordered on Monday!

Now I just need to get some irrefutable proof of the merits of a new set of rubber and I'll be happy!

sandracer

Reaction score
Just start putting different photos of lifted Libbys with larger tires as the background on your computer screen. =P~

Or........ better yet........... take her along to a KJ get together and let her see the difference.

No matter what they might tell us, sometimes, size DOES matter.

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rusty's is now $465 richer. We will have to see how those Rusty's rear shocks work on my Libby. If I have issues after a few thousand miles, I'll buy a set of Ranchos for $100. Now I just need a set of rock rails and some new rubber. Looks like I need to have a garage sale soon....

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
hmm Tell her you need bigger tires too. 245/75R16 M/Ts

I think you can order ranchos rsxs directly from rusty for an upgrade.

I actually replaced all my shocks with RSXs. They are much better imho.

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mud Terrains are probably the wrong tire to have in an area that sees 4 inches of rain per year! Hehe. They sure look good though. I'm prolly gonna get a set of General AT2 Grabbers for desert running. 33% cheaper than BFGs at 95% of the performance...at least I hope so. Lots of Libby people seem to like them.

sandracer

Reaction score
Getting even less rain than you do, I doubted if Mud Terrains were the right choice for the area, as well. Yesterday I went along on a club run with my neighbor in his Rubicon. Almost all of the rigs were running mud tires. This club has been running the deserts around here for 25 years.

I've been debating between the Big O XT and the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. The GY has good ratings but is pretty pricey. The Big O seems like a fair compromise between an All Terrain and a Mud tread. I haven't priced the Big O out yet. But, they do offer them in 245/70 and larger for a KJ with a lift.

You must be registered for see images attach