Liberty/Xterra Comparison....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had to drop off our KJ today at the body shop to get some scratches fixed, so they'll have it for a few days. In its place, Enterprise rent-a-car gave us an '08 Nissan Xterra. We actually considered one of these when we bought the Liberty, but the rebates were so much better on the Liberty that we couldn't pass it up. We never actually drove the Xterra, but now we get a chance to live with it for a few days and compare some stuff between the two.

She's on her way home with it now, and we're gonna go out to eat so I'll start making some notes and comparing things then.

*disclaimer*
this little "comparison" will have nothing to do with off-road ability since our KJ is only 2wd, but as for everything else, all bets are off!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
drive.gif(popcorn)

WV Jay

Reaction score
My wife and I also considered an Xterra before we bought our KJ in '04. We did like the room and stadium seating in the rear, but we both agreed that it was underpowered even with the supercharger. So we went the following day and test drove our present KJ. I would like to test drive one of the newer ones with the 4.0L ad see how it does.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still waiting on her to get home, but she said that it hauls as*....gotta admit I'm a little excited....:eek:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I would like to test drive one of the newer ones with the 4.0L ad see how it does.

The new Liberty doesn't have the 4.0L.

.. and your wife would be right. It hauls ***!!! It seems to have a bit more room than the KJ does all around, but I don't know if I like the orange backlit instrument cluster. I've never been a fan of orange.

Interior is bland, everything's the same color. Boring design too. There's controls that are behind the steering wheel.

Seats are way more comfortable than any KJ... not KK though, those seats are better.

But oh boy does it have a boatload of power...

Last edited:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, here we go....

First off, here it is:
You must be registered for see images attach

Advantage: Xterra...

1) Front seats are WAY more comfortable than the KJ's
2) Much more front leg room than KJ
3) Driving "position" seems better, easier to see stuff I guess
4) Ride is a hell of a lot better than KJ, no drama, just soaks up the bumps
5) Road noise is almost non-existant, much quieter around town...haven't been on the hwy yet
6) Has one hell of a motor, this thing DOES haul as*....it's almost FUN to drive!

Advantage: Liberty....

1) Smaller, more nimble...easier to manuever
2) Brakes seem a little better?
3) Rear seat access is much easier, though it doesn't look much different when you open the door
4) It's a JEEP!!

Dislikes about the Xterra:

1) The center rear seat belt comes out of the ROOF, not the back of the seat...very annoying when looking in the rear view mirror
2) Rear seat entry/exit is a little more complicated than the KJ's

The rear cargo area looks to be about the same, maybe slightly larger in the Xterra. I guess that's about it for now....I only drove it a few miles, hopefully more tomorrow night. But, as for now, we're toying with the idea of trading the KJ...though it probably won't happen.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still waiting on her to get home, but she said that it hauls as*....gotta admit I'm a little excited....:eek:

So, Heath....she is not home yet?? Left ya for an Xterrible or what???:D

Dave

PS.....Whoops, glad to see she made it.........

Last edited:

theshoestore

Reaction score
Drove both while we were purchasing the Liberty. The Xterra seemed to be more smoother on the road and hauled, but liked the interior and price (5k rebates) on the Liberty better. If only my Jeep had that 4.0 under the hood....(banan-hit)