Liberty CRD recommended by the CarTalk guys for flooded area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

papercut

Reaction score
Some of you may be familiar with Tom & Ray Magliozzi. They're a couple of nuts who host a radio show on NPR called CarTalk, and have a website at http://www.cartalk.com/

They also write a Q&A column in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Someone wrote in to ask what type of vehicle would be best for areas flooded by heavy rain. In today's AJC, they answered the question in their own fashion, talking about the characteristics of a vehicle that you'd want (high-mounted air intake, etc.) and made some suggestions about vehicles--Land Rover, etc. (which they promptly shot down for cost). They pointed out the problems of buying an old truck or SUV just to have around for a flood emergency (maintenance, leaving it at home then needing it later that day). They also mentioned the problem of getting water in the engine and how that'd ruin your escape plan.

Finally, they made their recommendation for the best choice that you can buy for this type of emergency, and could use for your daily driving so you always had it with you: the Liberty CRD. =D> High-mounted air intake, no spark plugs to clean so water in the engine is less of a worry....

(Unfortunately, the AJC doesn't have this column on their website, just in the printed paper.)

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gas engine has high water intake too. I've crossed some pretty deep section of water too (whistle). I've also extended all my breathers, factory height for some just suck.

papercut

Reaction score
Eddo said:
The gas engine has high water intake too. I've crossed some pretty deep section of water too (whistle). I've also extended all my breathers, factory height for some just suck.
A high water intake? Do you have the "ocean floor" variant? poke.gif

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
papercut said:
Eddo said:

\:D/ That's the 007 version of the KJ!!! (lol)

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
papercut said:
Eddo said:

I guess that went right over my head.