Liberty CRD Engine Replacement Tips - What should I do while the engine is out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mulletator

Reaction score
Hey guys, my engine blew on my '06 Liberty CRD. I'm going to swap an engine in from a different Liberty CRD.

I'm looking for tips of things to do while the engine is out of the vehicle that will add to the long-term longevity of the vehicle.

Some things that I will do for sure are an EGR delete, timing belt replacement, and thermostat replacement.

Any other tips?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my engine blew on my '06 Liberty CRD. I'm going to swap an engine in from a different Liberty CRD.

I'm looking for tips of things to do while the engine is out of the vehicle that will add to the long-term longevity of the vehicle.

Some things that I will do for sure are an EGR delete, timing belt replacement, and thermostat replacement.

Any other tips?
Put a new crank angle sensor in, access when the engine is in is terrible.

WWDiesel

Reaction score
Some Thoughts:
How many miles on the replacement engine? If over about 170k, pull head, replace all exhaust valves, valve rockers/dampers, replace head gasket, and install head studs in place of OEM bolts that stretch over time with age and allows the head gasket to loose tension and start leaking.
Replace water pump, timing belt, idler rollers, and belt tensioner & roller.
Replace all 4 Glow Plugs with Bosch 5v GP's. (especially true if it still has ceramic GPs in it or you are not sure what type GP's are installed.
Closely inspect harmonic balancer to make sure it is not separating where the rubber is bonded to the metal. They separate with age and start rattling.
Remove ALL EGR parts & coolant hoses. Plug coolant port on side of head where EGR cooler got its coolant flow from.
Tap and plug exhaust manifold with a pipe plug where the EGR exhaust feed tube was attached; very easy to do while engine is out of vehicle.
Replace any seals that are leaking, and install new seals and drain hose for turbo oil drain line while engine is out.
Check tightness of all oil pan bolts.
;)

Latest posts

Members online