Liberty 02 Airbag Recall Module Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JUJU

Reaction score
Hi all: New member with a Takata airbag recall question. Dealership called and said that the new module they inserted will not work and they have called Jeep rep to come out to look at car. They give the age of the car as the issue but they ordered a module specifically for it so not sure what the problem is. Anyone else have this issue? If they can’t get airbag module to work, then they say airbag is not functional. So what happens then? I don’t want to drive a car without airbags. Love my Liberty, only 150k miles and never an issue with it since I bought it new. Thank you in advance!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that *****. I sort of wondered if this would happen at some point. I'm wondering if there will be some cutoff where they will just say they can't help. It is possible that they just don't have the ones needed in stock or available. That would be the question you should ask them.

My opinion of Chrysler has really dropped for a number of reasons lately. Seems like none of these companies really care as long as they get a sale. They're almost as dead to me as GM.

JUJU

Reaction score
Yah just waiting on the low ball $5 offer or have them say, good luck and drive safe.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Would not stop me from driving it daily.
Never liked airbags anyways
Are you afraid that they will go off unexpectanatly or what ??

JUJU

Reaction score
Would not stop me from driving it daily.
Never liked airbags anyways
Are you afraid that they will go off unexpectanatly or what ??

the recall was to replace the module so the bags don’t deploy unexpectedly. My concern would be driving without the airbags. I understand that they cannot guarantee a non injury crash so maybe it’s a false sense of security but then again it could help from accident being worse. I was planning on selling or trading it on this year and I’m assuming that will impact the value or ability to sell it. We will see. Funny thing is that I originally bought a new car when I did in 2002 because I didn’t have airbags in my car at the time.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If I could sign off on a release and not have air bags I would in a heartbeat
Have driven 100s of cars/ trucks etc without them
Plus have witnessed several wrecks where air bags went off and messed up people even more

JUJU

Reaction score
Thanks! Makes me feel better. I love my Liberty.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with Tom, it wouldn't stop me from driving it. I've driven plenty without but they do serve a purpose when working correctly. I guess if you're afraid of deployment, you could just remove the relay or connector to stop them from ever getting energized. You'll likely get a warning light but they wouldn't deploy erroneously. I've always been a little leery of them but never had any of mine deploy. I do know a few people who got messed up in rather minor accidents due to the airbags.

I had that recall done on my 02 years ago. I'm guessing if I kept it I'd be in the same boat.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this the a new air bag recall or the two different recalls from last time?
I vaguely remembered that there was two air bag recalls with the second one to fix the first one properly.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was assuming it was a recall of the old recall. That is, the module replacement from the old recall was found not to work properly.

Maybe the OP can clarify.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Would I be safe to assume the air bag recall only effected 2002-2003 year models of the liberty for inadvertent deployment?