Left Front Air Bag sensor Error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 v6 Liberty Limited

does anybody have a picture & location for this Left Front Air Bag sensor?

Im not a big fan of Air BAgs, but Id like to see whats going on with this sensor

thanks!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
2002 v6 Liberty Limited

does anybody have a picture & location for this Left Front Air Bag sensor?

Im not a big fan of Air BAgs, but Id like to see whats going on with this sensor

thanks!

No picture but it is on the post along the radiator on the driver's side. Just look about halfway down the support next to the radiator and facing the engine compartment.

IIRC it looks like this:

Mopar 56010319AB Air Bag Sensor | eBay

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
before you try fixing anything.
Have you done all your recalls?

If it is the part that ltd02 is referring to, I think that collision sensor is part of the recall process.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just took a walk out to the garage. I have the thing partially disassembled anyway so took a couple picts. Tough to see the part # but I think the link above is correct.

Attachments

• IMAG0280.jpg
    IMAG0280.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMAG0281.jpg
    IMAG0281.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 15

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know. when they did the latest recall R06, they broke the locking red tab to that connector and the sensor looked brand new. Due to that I had the rental car for another day.

So I suspected they must have replaced it.

I could be wrong though.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It mentioned here that the sensors are replaced in this R06 recall.

Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the air bag electronic control module and the side impact sensors, as necessary, free of charge. The recall began on May 5, 2016. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is R06.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recall...id=0&SUBMIT=Retrieve+Recalls&PrintVersion=YES

Since OP's jeep is an 2002, this applies to his/her liberty.

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It mentioned here that the sensors are replaced in this R06 recall.

Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the air bag electronic control module and the side impact sensors, as necessary, free of charge. The recall began on May 5, 2016. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is R06.

Recalls - Search Results | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Since OP's jeep is an 2002, this applies to his/her liberty.

Yep, sounds like the sensors too. I never had that recall done. I think the first time I read it I thought they actually meant "side" impact sensors so assumed the fronts were not changed. I'm thinking they probably changed any and all sensors. Wonder if this recall actually worked since the jumper recall didn't. I did have that one done.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ltd02: if you haven't done this one then it's due. get it done!!!!
I'm fairly certain my front sensor was replaced.
YMMV though

Grahame

Reaction score
My 02 went in for this recall yesterday (Friday). They are replacing a bunch of stuff, had to order it in. I imagine the sensor is getting swapped out as my "Air Bag" light has been coming on since I bought the thing a couple years ago and the peace of mind inspection I had done right after purchase they said it was this sensor. I don't think they can replace only the computer and not the failing sensor as with electronic systems a failing sensor can fry a new computer. So it'll all get swapped out if it needs to be.

I'm fairly certain, anyways.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 02 went in for this recall yesterday (Friday). They are replacing a bunch of stuff, had to order it in. I imagine the sensor is getting swapped out as my "Air Bag" light has been coming on since I bought the thing a couple years ago and the peace of mind inspection I had done right after purchase they said it was this sensor. I don't think they can replace only the computer and not the failing sensor as with electronic systems a failing sensor can fry a new computer. So it'll all get swapped out if it needs to be.

I'm fairly certain, anyways.

or maybe just disconnect it?

my scanner said mine lost communication with the sensor. I dont know why that condition would damage the computer?