Led upgrade hazard flasher mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brando26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found where someone else had done this and for the life of me I can't find it now. Either way, mission accomplished with their advice. I took some pictures to help anyone who wants to jump on the boat.
I bought all new exterior led lights include brake, parking, and turn signal bulbs. I despise crimping load resistors in place and having little hot things hanging around precariously with other wires. So this is the only other option I know of. I can't take credit for the idea. Just the pictures and doing it.

This is from an 06 limited kj

You need a soldering iron, pliars, solder, a .1ohm 3 watt resistor ($6 shipped off ebay for 2) some very small flat screwdrivers, a philips screwdriver, and patience.

So remove the stereo and remove the single screw holding In the hazard flasher. You are done with the philips screwdriver.

Pull down the two tabs holding the hazard flasher in place. Remove the flasher from its home position.

Disconnect wire harness by pressing in center tab and pulling off.

Completely disassemble the flasher module. Remove the brass colored clip, remove the button, separate the two halves by pushing in on all 4 tabs and pulling apart. Then to remove the circuit board from the remaining plastic bezel just push hard to one side, then to the other.

You need to remove the silver M shape right next to the white boxes. Might help to have extra hands here.
Grab the m with pliars, and on the other side heat up each solder joint for the M with the soldering iron while pulling on the M. One side at a time. When the M is removed, heat up each spot again and push some of the resistor lead through the old holes on each side. Clip the remaining resistor lead and put flasher back together and reinstall.

You must be registered for see images attach

Test to ensure it works, if all is well install led lights making sure polarity is corrected if they dont work. Just take the led out of the socket, turn it 180 degrees and put it back.

I didnt blow any fuses during testing. Love the modern digital look of led bulbs and flashers.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice....might do mine. Is this just for the flashers? Or does it also slow down the turns too

brando26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tested with turns and it was normal flash rate. leds in front turns, rear turns, front parking, and brake lights... i can post a vid later.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen the thread you were referring too, but I can't find it either. :D

In any case, very nice job and nice write-up! :waytogo:

paynkilr

Reaction score
Brando,

Nice work here. Could you comment on the need for the specific size resistor you chose for this? I would like to tackle this project myself. Thank you!!

brando26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Its in the tools you need paragraph. .1 ohm 3 watt resistor. I have an extra.

brando26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front leds I got off ebay. I went to www.Sylvania. com and used the bulb replacement guide for automotive. Then searched ebay for amber led with the bulbs size. I find that leds with Samsung chips are brighter and very effective.

brando26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the front is either on, off, or flashing. The rear tail/brake are the ones you need to spend $ on for dual brightness.

brando26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a modified unit for sale if anyone wants to try it. based on feedback by someone with an earlier model I believe it will only work on 04,05,06. 4 flashing led bulbs. asking $35 shipped priority in US.

Elliott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just installed led bulbs in my tail lights along with the modified hazard flasher. I do not have hyperflash so that is good but whenever I press the brake pedal, the blinker indicators in the dash light up but not the actual blinkers. Whenever I activate the blinkers, the brake lights will give a soft glow in time with the blinkers. Any ideas why?

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed load resistors for the rear ones and I have the same issue. When low beams are on blinkers arrows in the dash board will light up (dim light) and I have hyper flashing. If low beams ar e off everything is fine, no hyper flash. Any ideas?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You've got feedback coming back through somewhere , just have to trace it down or start over

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still no solution so I removed the load resistors. I don't know what can cause that because everything looks OK. Does anyone has pictures with load resistors already installed? Thanks

jlgtx

Reaction score
Additional info on the LED mod...

Many thanks to brando26 for this thread! I was pulling my hair out trying to find a fix. After I installed LEDs in the taillights (2006 Liberty CRD), I got fast-flash turn signals but the hazards worked normally. When I added LEDs in the front, the turn signals stopped flashing completely (just full on), and the hazards worked sometimes, other times just full on. After this mod, everything works fine--the turn signals are still faster than stock, but that doesn't bother me. The "big secret" is that the turn signals and the hazards both use the circuitry in the hazard flasher module, so this mod fixes everything.

After doing this mod, I have some additional info & thoughts.

Completely disassemble the flasher module. Remove the brass colored clip, remove the button, separate the two halves by pushing in on all 4 tabs and pulling apart. Then to remove the circuit board from the remaining plastic bezel just push hard to one side, then to the other.

The metal clip can probably be left in place. Pushing hard to one side & then the other may work, but you risk breaking off the plastic catches that hold the board in place (see pic below). It's probably better to use a small flat-blade screwdriver to reach in and push those catches back to release the board.

When I removed the metal "M" piece, I plugged the module back into the Jeep and used a multimeter to measure the current going across that connection. That current may depend on the exact LEDs you're using, but on mine, I measured ~0.2A for the turn signals and ~0.5A for the hazards. Given those numbers, a 3W resistor will definitely work for the turn signals (0.2A@12V=2.4W), but it might get a little warm if the hazards are left on for any length of time (0.5A@12V=6W). So, to be safe, I used a 0.1Ω 7W resistor (found one at Mouser). It's larger than the 3W, of course, so I had to locate it behind the relays instead of in front, but it still fits inside the housing. Bend the leads around so that they don't touch any metal, and the resistor body has an air gap all the way around it (see pics).

If your turn signals still fast-flash and it bothers you, try experimenting with higher-value resistors, maybe 0.2-0.3Ω. I would imagine you could go up to 1Ω, maybe more, without affecting the overall operation of the flashing circuit.

I thought about swapping in an LED for the incandescent indicator lamp, but decided to save that for another time.

Attachments

• IMG_7456.jpg
    IMG_7456.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7454.jpg
    IMG_7454.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7455.jpg
    IMG_7455.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Latest posts