Leaky roof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uggh!! My libby has a fairly slow leak in the roof. 2006 Sport w/ sunroof...... Anyway it's been raining for a bout 10 hours and this morning while hooking up my kids carseats this morning I noticed drops of water in the cargo area on the side wall.

The ceiling is kinda damp from above the rear seats and on back to the rear window. It's not really damp behind/around the sunroof. I think it's from the roof rack.

Anyone have experience with this? Suggestions?

Six weeks since I picked up the KJ and this will be twice back to the dealer already!!! #-o

Still luv the Jeep. It's just a shame my American cars don't measure up to the Japanese I've owned.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well its either the sunroof or the roof rack, there really isnt anything else that could leak from the description that you gave.

billweaponsman

Reaction score
if its sunroof my guess would be water tray around sunroof or unhooked or pinched drain tube for sunroof. most usually have 4 drain tubes and if one is pinched shut,plugged up,or off at water tray you got a problem. this will ruin headliner and cause musty odor,lean on the dealer about it and make sure its fixed.

Grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heading in to the dealer this Friday. On the phone he mentioned the sunroof drains. I will have them make certain all is cleaned/scrubbed so mold etc does not become an issue.

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how it turns out.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats odd. THats the second person who has had this problem.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
desertkj said:
Thats odd. THats the second person who has had this problem.
And out of almost a million Libertys total I'd say that's pretty good.

Assuming these were the only two with sunroof leakage problems. lol3.gif

Grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's what it was a pinch/bend and leak in the "sun roof drain". The drain runs along the lenght of the roof above the ceiling liner. Weird, but that's the deal. The service manager said he's seen this a few times and they have never had it come back for a re-fix. I feel pretty confident.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats good. Hopefully you will not have any more troubles with it! Its very discouraging to have problems like that.. O:)

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was pushed away from getting a sun roof on my previous vehicle because everyone kept telling me "They Leak". I got the sunroof on my jeep and I will always buy a vehicle with one (it is so convenient). I am glad to hear that this is a quick fix and hope that it solves your problem for good.