Leaky power steering hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a little "sip" coming from the lower high pressure power steering hose. It's been there for months (maybe years), no biggie, don't think I am gonna replace that.

I topped off my steering fluid reservoir now with ATF+4 fluid and was wondering if there's some recommended "stop leak" additive I can add similar to the ones you can find in the "normal cars" power steering fluids :)

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The power steering hose on mine has been wet since the day I got it in 2008. I haven't had to top of the fluid. If yours is losing enough fluid to require a top up then I would look in to fixing it properly. I wouldn't trust any additive.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
x2.

Mine had a slow leak from the HP line for a few years, only had to top it off every other year or so. Replaced it after I put in a new steering rack.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Always heard the additives were "seal swellers" that attacked the seals softening, and swelling, them so they would slow a leak long enough to sell the thing. Then the seals blow out completely.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the first time I top it off in a year. Only needed a little bit of fluid.

Ok thanks for the tip - no additives there. I'll let it sip.

Is there some kind of a "cover up" oil resistant tape I can roll around the leaky tubing itself or because it's high pressure there're no fixes like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not really. If it's just a real slow leak like that, I wouldn't bother with tape. Not going to fix it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Always heard the additives were "seal swellers" that attacked the seals softening, and swelling, them so they would slow a leak long enough to sell the thing. Then the seals blow out completely.
Ya I would not use any stop leaks of any kind, it might bite you back!
58491[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

If one day it leaks bad enough, just replace with a new PS hose. :gr_grin:

Attachments

• some%20dummies%20shouldnt%20be%20in%20office.gif
    some%20dummies%20shouldnt%20be%20in%20office.gif
    2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Members online