Leak!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, on a recent jaunt with the wife noticed some water around the map light area, actually just in front of it. I made sure the sunroof was closed and we did have some heavy rains here lately. This *****. Wondering if it's the windshield or roof. :(
Ok quick update: I double checked and there's a leak that runs all along the passenger side starting from the rear view mirror to the rear cargo area.

Last edited:

richd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to let you know that there is a high pressure leak on the KKs with sun roof.My guess is thats whats leaking.Far as I heard there is no fix.

airbornekk08

Reaction score
I just had my leak fixed. The driver's side drain channel was installed improperly. It soaked and stained the headliner above the door from about midway back up to the seam on the pillar of the windscreen. there are four drain channels that divert moisture away from the internals of the sunroof - each leading away from the corners. The two rear channels drain back and down into the rear fenderwells. It sounds like one of yours is/was faulty as well.

I had taken this car through a couple touch-less car washes and did not have a problem with my sunroof. I asked the dealership (Rairdon's in Monroe, WA) about the concern with carwashes, and they said they had never heard of such a thing. I searched on the internet for more info about this "design flaw" and have come up with nothing.

Richd, I would like you to post the info or a link/reference about it that you have - I have only heard people say this is an issue, however I would be hard pressed to believe an automaker would knowingly accept a flaw like this as most car washes are going to the touch-less design. Bottom line is, I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It strikes me as odd that there were 123 views of this post and ONLY two responses.
Airborne, did the dealership replace your headliner?
Since I purchased my KK back in 10/07, I have gone through several car washes and no leaks. It wasn't until we had heavy rain for a couples of days the leak made an appearance. That was about two weeks ago.
Airborne, thanks for your response. I agree with you about a car manufacturer building a vehicle KNOWING it leaks and then releasing it to the consumer? Knowing said flaw the consumers would go back to the dealership in droves and puttin up a major stink about it I'm sure. It wouldn't make sense.

Last edited:

richd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go to Edmunds forum and look under 2008 Jeep liberty,starting with post #94,you will find a discussion about leaking sunroofs and how one person was told by Chrysler Customer Service that the sunroof will leak under high pressure wash.Also you say Chrysler wouldn't do something like that.Did you know that the 09 Liberty has differant springs,shocks,axles,swaybars,and improved the brakes?I dont say things just to say them I try to give facts not BS.I own a KK and wouldnt give you a nickle for it.Its one of my worse I ever owned,only getting beat out by one of my lemon ,and buy back.Both Chrysler products.I am a Mopar man for 38 years,and can tell you,Im not happy with my KK.

airbornekk08

Reaction score
Ruckus - No, the dealership did not replace the headliner. I wish they had because I don't like the idea of having a stained headliner and I don't like the fact that I don't know what's going on with the internals, whether its the mechanism or the lining on the inside of the headliner (i.e. rust or mold.)

richd - I know it's human nature to throw bombs on boards based on emotion; I was only asking that you provide your references so I could separate fact from emotion and at least feel better about getting a poor quality automobile. I too have owned quite a few Jeeps and this model is by far the worst - not only as a Jeep but as far as any other car goes. My wife and I are accually trying to get our old car back from the dealer (albeit) through another dealership because of our lingering feelings akin to getting @$$-***** by a hobo at a truckstop by both the dealership and Jeep. So please don't take it the wrong way - I was only trying to get a better grasp on your experience and your feelings.

Ironically, just last night my wife and I relized that both issues (the leak and the amp recall that affects the radio volume) are not settled. As you may or may not know, the Seattle area is getting hit by a pretty bad weather pattern. We hopped in the Jeep last night and found the headliner was soaked again. On the way to the store, low and behold the radio started to act up again. So, I guess it's back to the dealership this morning, right after a call the the other dealership for an update on our trade in!

richd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just felt I was being questioned with my knowledge of the KK.I ,hope you get your KK situation solved.I already had to have mine towed because of a no start,and wasn't happy with that event.I had problems from day one,and can't believe Chrysler didn't do a better job on the KK.Now I see why they are in trouble.

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far so good, just got the Jeep back yesterday.

"Also you say Chrysler wouldn't do something like that.Did you know that the 09 Liberty has differant springs,shocks,axles,swaybars,and improved the brakes?"

Sure it makes senses to "improve upon the previous model", but what doesn't is the fact Jeep "KNEW" that the roof leaks and built it that way and then turned and sold it to it's customers. Sheer lack of quality control, and the fact they knew isn't acceptable not to me a Jeep fan for years and to it's buyers. It's insulting. Where's the character and pride in the work? :confused:

daveb

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your problems, I have had my KK since February and it has been a flawless vehicle. Has never been back to the dealer. Back in 1976 I bought a Buick Regal with T tops, the first year they were installed by Hurst for GM leaked like crazy. I learned a big lesson "If you buy a car with a hole in the roof and whine about getting wet there is no one to blame but yourself." That's why I wouldn't take a KK with a Sunroof that the dealer found, I ordered instead. He did offer it for free, maybe that is why.

Dave

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not whining but if you're comfortable with poor craftmanship and poor build that's up to you, but when I chose a vehicle with a sunroof I expect it NOT to leak. I expect the the build not to be flawless because that would be naive considering the human factor in it. If I paid a lot of money I expect things to work. I work hard for my money and when I dish out a great amount on something I would like to keep for a long time I DO expect things to work as they are intended. So please do NOT insult my intelligence by saying "If you buy a car with a hole in the roof and whine about getting wet there is no one to blame but yourself.". No I blame the car company who purposely built a vehicle with a known flaw and not inform the customer. If I knew it had this problem I wouldn't have opted for it. Seems like integrity isn't part the Chrysler moto and values.
I come to these forums for information about my Jeep. I'm all for a great debates, good conversation about our chosen vehicles but leave the insults somewhere else.
Much Appreciated,
Jay Anson
Chicago.

richd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jay-I agree with you.This KK is one of my worse vehicle and feel I got rip off on this KK.My other vehicle is a 06 Charger SXT with a sunroof and never had a leak.So it can be done to have a sunroof that doesn't leak.Chrysler messed up with the KK.Thats why I
complained about Chrysler changing the whole suspenion on the 09s.The KK was a new design and should have not needed a big change in 1 year.This is almost unheard of.Normaly there is 5 years before major changes.

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe they bit off more than could chew, but a sunroof would be something "routine" for an engineer or designer. Would the " Lemon Law" apply here?

richd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most states you have to bring it back for the same problem 4 times.If at that point they haven't resolved your problem,then you can try lemon law.If you get to that point,I would go for a buyback so you wont lose money.With a lemon law they make deductions so you will lose money.In a buyback,Chrysler buys it back for the MSRP price,no deductions.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KK was a new design and should have not needed a big change in 1 year.This is almost unheard of.Normaly there is 5 years before major changes.

Wasn't the Nitro on the road for a year or two prior to the KJ to KK remodel? Does the Nitro share these same problems with it's kid sister?

Also Chrys. is notorious for these type moves. They lowered the KJ an inch less than a year after initial production, then they upgraded the brakes to 4 discs, but downgraded the ******, also within about a year. Personally, I have had great success with the quality of my 2002 KJ. Only been to the dealer for the LBJ recalls in 6 1/2 years. Think I'll keep my KJ. Her 7th birthday was yesterday.

richd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every TSB I've seen also has the Nitro involved.The Nitro was a Liberty(KK) platform.I read this when the Nitro came out thinking they would get all the bugs out ,then the KK would have no problems.I was wrong.The Nitro had a few recalls when it first came out,so that saved some problems,but I think Chrysler messed up with the KK.