(Las Vegas) AC Compressor/clutch assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cajunrebel

Reaction score
My AC clutch and compressor bit the big one last night and I need a new one. I put my broncos motor in the machine shop last week and have the bill for that coming up this week so I really cant afford the price for a new one. Would prefer to have it shipped if it is feasible. Looking to give $100 + shipping for one in good shape.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
cajun, it looks like your best bet for the price is going to be sourcing an aftermarket clutch.

If possible, you'll need to find out who the AC compressor rebuilders get their clutches from; it's gonna be damn near impossible to find an OEM AC compressor assembly for under $200.

There's a company on ebay with compressor kits with the orifice tube/etc for under 200 bucks, ITBJRC, free shipping.

cajunrebel

Reaction score
Yeah I just searched a bit more and found your thread and found a link to buy clutch rebuild kits for the 02-05 libs but not for my 06. If I can find one for my 06 I will buy it and see how it goes. Its been getting 120 + here in vegas lately so I need to get the ac working right or I am gonna be miserable. I cant believe that my 06 with a hair over 90,000 on it has this kinda problem and my 1988 bronco has a perfect ac system (still all factory) and it is just having an engine rebuild after 248,000 miles and alot of hard mudding...

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
the '06 *should* be the same as '02-5.

ThunderbirdJunkie can sympathize with the heat. Living in Phoenix, he would have died without AC on his commute in the Jeep and in the apartment.

Screw that 120* F BS. Ohio rules :p

And you can thank the gov't and CAFE standards for shorter-lived AC compressors and clutches.

cajunrebel

Reaction score
Removed the clutch for now but I still need to get a new clutch at minimum. Appears that the compressor is fine, so I woulda paid an extra $250 to have a new clutch AND compressor to replace a nonfaulty compressor... Gotta love the motor companies. Now time to find a replacement clutch. Does the 02 - 05 clutch fit an 06?

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what tool to use to remove the AC compressor clutch? I see there's a nut in the middle but it must take some kind of pulley to remove??

Any help?