Knocking/popping when wiggling steering wheel back and forth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dark_Passenger

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

For the past 48 hours I have been scouring every jeep forum I can find, trying to figure what is going on with my steering. It seems folks have had similar issues but I cannot find a situation that exactly replicates what I am experiencing. The symptoms came on suddenly. I drove the car to the store and came home in the morning, no knock. I went out to drive to work about an hour later, the steering was knocking. I hit no significant bumps or pot holes that would have caused damage.

When I first got my KK, I noticed that when making right turns it would pop when I hit a bump. I've had a few dodge/chrysler vehicles and had to replace sway bar bushings on every single one, so I assumed this was the issue. It never popped any other time though, only when turning right at low speed and hitting bumps.

However, now it pops/clunks when parked (engine off) just by wiggling the steering wheel back and forth. I crawled underneath and had my wife wiggle the wheel :)happy175:) while I inspected everything. The outer tie rod ends have no play, LBJ is solid, sway bar and links don't budge, and the rack/pinion bushings look brand new. The knock/pop seems to be isolated to the Driver's side only. I noticed the zip tie on the boot that covers the inner tie rod end on the driver's side was loose. I cut it off and slid the boot outboard towards the tire in order to expose the inner tierod. I then had my wife wiggle the steering again and I believe to have isolated the pop/clunk to the actual rack itself. I can see forward/aft play in the rack when wiggling the steering wheel. Also, there was hardly any grease on the rack so I will lube that up nice and good.

I may have just found my answer while writing this post haha. I will mess around with the yoke adjustment to see if that improves the knock/pop. After thinking about how to describe the issue, it hit me that it looks like the rack has room for play within the housing, so I hope it is as simple as a yoke adjustment.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, feel free to let me know. I will report back on the outcome of adjusting the yoke in case anyone else is having this issue.

Dark_Passenger

Reaction score
Just an update..... I put my KK up on the lift.....and.....sure enough, the yoke adjustment plug was not even finger tight. I grabbed it and gave a little twist and it fell off. It was a HUGE pain in the rear trying to screw that thing back in because you have to compress the spring while you twist. There is minimal space to get in there and apply pressure. I eventually got it back in, torqued, and the knock is gone. Glad that was a cheap fix!

JeepLibertyKK

Reaction score
Just an update..... I put my KK up on the lift.....and.....sure enough, the yoke adjustment plug was not even finger tight. I grabbed it and gave a little twist and it fell off. It was a HUGE pain in the rear trying to screw that thing back in because you have to compress the spring while you twist. There is minimal space to get in there and apply pressure. I eventually got it back in, torqued, and the knock is gone. Glad that was a cheap fix!

Any chance you could post a picture off the area and specific part to help us rookies?

arielflash

Reaction score
I know this is an old post but... any chance someone posts a picture of the steering yoke adjustment location ?