KJ Steering rack bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arielflash

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 2006 3.7 liberty kj.
It all started when I felt my steering was "loose"...
I then replaced my steering rack bushings to new ones by moog according to my mechanics advice
Steering felt a bit better for about 1 week and then started to feel loose again - bushings has failed :\

1. Has anyone else experienced such an early steering rack moog bushings fail? what could be the cause for that ? is it possible moog has manufactured a 2 weeks bushing ??
My libby is lifted with Dobinsons springs/shocks + top plates + clevis so I guess there is some more "stress" on the whole thing but not as much as to make them fail after such a short time

2. Dealership only sells the whole rack (WHAT???) which costs like ~1500$ here :\
While searching online I couldn't find a mopar bushing - is there anywhere I could buy the mopar bushing only?

3. Some mechanics has suggested me to disassemble the steering rack and install custom made polyurethane bushings... does anyone has experience with polyurethane bushings on the libby ?
My biggest concern is steering rack is going to "take the hit" instead of the rubber / polyurethane and damage the rack itself

4. I am super bummed as I just paid like 350$ for replacing the bushings (most cost is for labor - removing and installing the rack) - and now I have to do it again :\ so any thoughts / ideas you might have will be much appreciated

5. Is it possible to replace the bushings (with another moog / acdelco set) without taking the entire rack apart from the body? just by loosening the rack bolts ?

Thanks...

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The Napa & Mopar steering bushings appear to be identical. I use the Napa ones. As far as poly bushings there are none available that I know of yet...
Ours are a steel sleeve with a rubber covering overtop.
You do not have to remove the whole steering rack to do the bushing replacement.
I have replaced the drivers side and passenger side, but the drivers side is the one that lasts the shortest time. Every couple of years it seems.
Cover the drivers side with duct tape on the top when doing oil changes.
The oil filter can spill onto that bushing and it will then deteriorate quickly.
See this link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/poly-rack-bushing-kj-59236/

arielflash

Reaction score
Thanks!

Turns out mopar does sell the bushings by itself… part number is 52038783AB in case anyone ever needs it…

I also found the part locally and mechanic has replaced the bushings without taking the whole rack off… great news !!

But… steering still feels very loose ! :/

What could be the cause for this? What should be inspected next?

Recently I also noticed a small "tick" feeling on the steering wheel when I turn it from side to side gently… any thoughts?

arielflash

Reaction score
I know rack isnt supposed to move like this question is - is it moving because bolts are not tight (which I doubt is the case) or something else ?

arielflash

Reaction score
Can someone please send a photo / video of how it's supposed to look when torqued properly?
Also, is there a specific torque for these bolts?
Is the flange on the bushing supposed to be at the top or bottom ? Does it make any difference?

Last edited:

arielflash

Reaction score
some updates...
I went to my mechanic once again in order to inspect the whole issue together...

Two problems found today...
1. it is true it seemed like the bolt isn't all the way in... truth is the bolt was "resting" on the inner metal guideline of the bushing which is for some unknown strange reason - above the steering rack.
He added a washer in between and then the up/down play was gone - finally !

2. I then had a test drive and steering still felt really loose and had some clunks when I was turning the wheel left and right...
We then noticed that now, the rack sometimes moves sideways (not up/down)...
we didnt notice it before because that only happens when car is on the ground carrying its own weight...
we then saw that the at least the bottom holes in the cross member / cradle (where the screws go) are oval and not circle :\

So he weld two washers at the bottom with the exact diameter of the bolt...
now things are much much better !
Steering still feels a bit loose to me but he says the rack itself is fine...

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some updates...
I went to my mechanic once again in order to inspect the whole issue together...

Two problems found today...
1. it is true it seemed like the bolt isn't all the way in... truth is the bolt was "resting" on the inner metal guideline of the bushing which is for some unknown strange reason - above the steering rack.
He added a washer in between and then the up/down play was gone - finally !

2. I then had a test drive and steering still felt really loose and had some clunks when I was turning the wheel left and right...
We then noticed that now, the rack sometimes moves sideways (not up/down)...
we didnt notice it before because that only happens when car is on the ground carrying its own weight...
we then saw that the at least the bottom holes in the cross member / cradle (where the screws go) are oval and not circle :\

So he weld two washers at the bottom with the exact diameter of the bolt...
now things are much much better !
Steering still feels a bit loose to me but he says the rack itself is fine...

That'll work.. hopefully he used very tough, hard washers and not more common soft steel ones. Otherwise, the new washers will, over time, also wear ovoid.

The additional looseness you are feeling may be in additional bushings, tie rod ends, etc... fairly common, just need to find the worn parts and replace.

arielflash

Reaction score
That'll work.. hopefully he used very tough, hard washers and not more common soft steel ones. Otherwise, the new washers will, over time, also wear ovoid.

The additional looseness you are feeling may be in additional bushings, tie rod ends, etc... fairly common, just need to find the worn parts and replace.

bushings already replaced with new ones a couple of days ago,
tie rod ends replaced to moog ones a couple of month ago - they seems OK.

:\

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bushings already replaced with new ones a couple of days ago,
tie rod ends replaced to moog ones a couple of month ago - they seems OK.

:\

Balljoints are tight? Control arm bushings? Any slop in the steering column itself?