KJ newb with a quick question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up an '05 Lib sport (auto) with 35k on the clock. I've been cruising around here soaking up all the useful info and wanna ask a question that might pertain to the lbj's.

My symptoms: There is a little bit of steering wheel vibe at interstate speed, but not much. If I let go of the wheel, however, the kj seems to wander a bit kind of suddenly. Example: Let go of steering wheel and it tracks straight, then suddenly starts to wander off left or right.

A couple of times when just taking off under normal acceleration there was a bit of a pop which sounded like it came from the rear, but I'm not for sure.

Should I just take her in for recall work?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
That pop under normal acceleration was probably just drivetrain slack.

The bit of steering wheel vibe at interstate speeds may be unbalanced tires. Brake rotors also a possibility.

None of those symptoms sound like ball joints to me.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Marlon jb2 sounds like vibes are either wheels out of balance or warped front brake discs,try getting wheels balanced first though its cheaper and easier. And if car only pulls over to the side every so often then keep in mind that roads have a camber on them to aid water drainage and this camber varies.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ

I'd have my tires rotated and balanced, and the alignment checked.

The tires could have developed a flat spot sitting in one place on the lot for who knows how long.

Here's the official how to check your ball joint thread:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27868

Did you buy it from a Jeep dealership, small used car lot, or private party? You should be able to talk a Jeep dealership into checking things for you for free, if you bought it from them. If not, you know what kind of service department your dealership has.

BMR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the help guys. Forgive my newbness but I just wanted to make sure... I'm used to driving a neon!