KJ/KK in AK?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe that no one from AK has found this place yet.
KJ's are everywhere up here. I know of at least one other amateur radio operator in the Eagle River/Chugiak area that has one .

Maybe this will stir the Greatland pot!

mapco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm from Fairbanks.

You must be registered for see images

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I took a look this AM. Nice to meet you and nice rig. Mine is a 03 LTD with nigh onto every option offered. Only one on the Lithia lot with an off road package. Nothing like yours regarding mods. Made changes to give me Daytime Running lights, and now have BFG AT KOs in stock size. About 113K miles on at the moment. Interesting plates. By any chance does the AF refer to Air Force? Have a set of call sign plates with my ham call on them, but have not installed any radio gear yet so running regular ones. Did you do the mods up in FBKs or come up from outside?

aldus

Reaction score
First post here (I've been lurking since we bought our 2007 KJ three years ago) — moving to Fairbanks from Laramie, WY the first of September.

How's the dealer in Fairbanks?

AKjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im up here in fairbanks. Got an 03 renegade about 3 weeks ago. Traded it for a 2008 a/c m8. Pretty good trade if you ask me! The renes stock for now except I took off the renegade roof rack. If any of you guys are lookin for one. Let me know.

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Greatland!. No clue about Juneau. State capitol but we can't drive there. No rides in or out. Fly or go by state ferry system. Up here since 83 and not made it down to SE yet.

But I been to Chicken, AK multiple times. In the winter too!

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We were there in July - cool little place, for sure! (cool)

If you like cool, try it in early March! Anything before that is serious cold.
My friends Dick and Robin live there year round and raised two daughters. Robin is postmistress and Dick is a miner.
Through again on roundtrip to Dawson, YT by snowmachine in early March.

Wanna go along YC?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
If you like cool, try it in early March! Anything before that is serious cold.
My friends Dick and Robin live there year round and raised two daughters. Robin is postmistress and Dick is a miner.
Through again on roundtrip to Dawson, YT by snowmachine in early March.

Wanna go along YC?

Absolutely!! :D

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whittier here!

Since March of this year I no longer own my 03Liberty. It has been replaced by a 14 Cherokee Trail Hawk.

Are you a year round resident of Whittier? Was there back on the 5/3 for the opening of the Swift Water Cafe. Spendie but sure worth it plus a great drive.

The shrimp, halibut or cod melt in your mouth. Several friends in Anchorage and I go over from time to time.

While I no longer own a KJ, I still drop by here cause there a lot of great folks here and a lot of knowledge and experience. Besides, the KL is still aJEEP!

lkwoods

Reaction score
Since March of this year I no longer own my 03Liberty. It has been replaced by a 14 Cherokee Trail Hawk.

Are you a year round resident of Whittier? Was there back on the 5/3 for the opening of the Swift Water Cafe. Spendie but sure worth it plus a great drive.

The shrimp, halibut or cod melt in your mouth. Several friends in Anchorage and I go over from time to time.

While I no longer own a KJ, I still drop by here cause there a lot of great folks here and a lot of knowledge and experience. Besides, the KL is still aJEEP!

I am a year round resident! Yes, Swiftwater is pretty spendy, but it sure is yummy!!:cheers:

I went and test drove a Trailhawk the first time I saw one in Anchorage. They are indeed nice, but I would never buy something with that amount of electronics! And they don't come with a manual ****** option. :bs:
It was a fully loaded one and all the features were pretty neat. It had every available option except the Trailer Towing Group, but I definitely like my 07 KJ a lot more!! I like a clutch pedal and a lever(not button/dial) for the T-Case.(biggthumpup) My KJ has the ESP program, and that usually is a little too advanced for my liking.

Have you ever taken yours off road yet, like up to Knik or anything? I'm very curious if they're as great off-road as Jeep claims they are.

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really. A little bit over it Whittier on a road to the left as you come out of the tunnel, back along the shore line. Just some serious ruts.

In 4 low locked, it is pretty impressive. Off hand I would say it is at least as good or better than my 03 KJ. It had the 45RFE and 3.6L V6 and a TracLock diff in the rear. I miss the 4wd lever, but am learning what the KL can foo with what it has.
There are some great videos done by owners over on :2014 Jeep Cherokee Forums
That would give you some idea. Most of my 4X4 time is in the winter towing a snowmachine up to Willow, or Tok.
If think the KL gives a more comfortable ride and I like how it handles on the road. MPG are much better. Have 2200 + miles now and average is 23 with as high as 25-26. Has all the room I need and tow rating with v6 is 4500/450 vs 5000/500 on KJ.
Mine had 158k on it And someone else is driving her now.

Bottom line, to each their own and after all it is your money!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.