KJ & Hidden Hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so I bought a Hidden Hitch (rear) class III from Hitchmart.com. They sent me a hitch specified for the KJ however it came with 18mm bolts. Problem is, my threaded frame holes are 7/16". Anyone else ever run into this? Anyone install their hitch and remember the thread size? I didn't see a forum here for "Flame Bait" so I posted this thread here. Although I am happy with the hitch, (thanks to Ace Hardware), I cannot recommend the people I purchased it from.

Hammer

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed a Hidden Hitch to my `04 Renegade. The bolts with the Hitch were 18mm and the old bolts were the same. I used a 3/4" socket since I didn't have an 18mm wrench or socket. I know, shame on me. Studied the heads and they are just fine even after proper torque added.

chefdab

Reaction score
rear hidden hitch

When I installed my rear hidden hitch, I also installed my gas tank skid which both use the same bolts. As I recall they were all 19mm. The hardest one to tighten was the one on the passenger side towards the front. It wuld be easier if you can let the wheel droop while it's jacked up and reach through the fender well.

Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sent a email to Hitchmart (not complaining mind you, just letting them know the 18mm didn't fit and that I needed to use 7/16. Here was their reply:

The bolts provided with the hitch are the appropriate size. They may seem to big because you are not able to thread them in to the weldnut's, 7/16 will thread in because it is a smaller bolt, I know it would be a pain but what you should do is try and find a 12mm Tap with the proper thread pitch (I believe 12mm X 1.75) You could bring the bolt so it can be matched. With some tap oil on the end of the tap you will be able to clean out the weldnut making it possible to thread the provided bolt in with your finger's. I know what i am suggesting would not be fun, However I am not sure that a 7/16 bolt will prove to be reliable under the load of a trailer. With the type of weather we have in IL the weldnuts tend to form corrosion. Sometimes you can not even see it with the eye, However if you go to the trouble of doing this you wont believe how the bigger bolt will just thread in. If you decide to do it and have any problems do not hesitate to call

Now I don't plan to pull a trailer (notice I didn't write never), I actually bought the hitch with the intention of using it as a recovery point. Yes I also bought a Warn D-ring shackle insert for the hitch receiver. Should I do what they suggest even for use as a recovery device?

Hammer

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
He seems knowlegeable in his response. The service manual didn't say anything about the size of the bolts. You could call the dealer and ask them what the mopar hitch uses for bolts, before you go through the work of tapping it out.

Bennett

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it turns out that the 7/16" bolts are too small you'll find out the first time you get recovered. If the whole hitch flies out from under the vehicle, I'm betting that'd do a whole lot of damage/injury. Best call them and talk to them about it.

Hauntedyards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bolts provided with the hitch are the appropriate size. They may seem to big because you are not able to thread them in to the weldnut's, 7/16 will thread in because it is a smaller bolt, I know it would be a pain but what you should do is try and find a 12mm Tap with the proper thread pitch (I believe 12mm X 1.75) You could bring the bolt so it can be matched. With some tap oil on the end of the tap you will be able to clean out the weldnut making it possible to thread the provided bolt in with your finger's. I know what i am suggesting would not be fun, However I am not sure that a 7/16 bolt will prove to be reliable under the load of a trailer. With the type of weather we have in IL the weldnuts tend to form corrosion. Sometimes you can not even see it with the eye, However if you go to the trouble of doing this you wont believe how the bigger bolt will just thread in. If you decide to do it and have any problems do not hesitate to call

Just a comment here... Today I installed my hidden hitch and found that the nuts in the frame were badly corroded and filled with gunk.

I tried everything to clean them and could not even start the 18mm bolts.

I found this thread and then I grabbed a 12mm x 1.75 tap and cleaned all the bolt holes. THEN I used the same sized die and fine tuned the threading on the ****** graded bolts they ship with it...

They then threaded in like (or better than) brand new. The hitch install went flawlessly with the provided bolts.

Tap and Die!!!! Do not use smaller bolts because that means the hitch is being held secure by the dirt in the holes....

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the threading would be different. 12mm - 1.75, 10mm - 1.5, etc.

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Hidden Hitch I got for my '02 didn;t work right. I went to a ma & Pa parts store near me that has every bolt ever made. I showed Mr Miles the bolt that I had since it did start, but was threaded wrong. He gave me a handful of bolts that I went out and test fit. When I found the one that worked, he traded the ones that came with the hitch for the ones I needed.

Unfortunately, I didn't ask what size they were at the time and there is no marking on the bolt to specify the size.

Bring you bolts to a local Lowes or Home Depot. They shouldn't have any problem with you taking some out to test fit, just make sure you get Grade-8 bolts.