Just released: Liberty Recall for fire hazard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WASHINGTON - After dozens of reports of fires in Dodge Durango and Jeep Liberty sport utility vehicles, DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group recalled nearly 500,000 vehicles Friday.

Chrysler said it had received 66 reports of fires in Dodge Durango SUVs from the 2004-2006 model years because of electrical overloads in the driver's side instrument panel below the dashboard. The automaker said it was recalling 328,424 Durangos.

The automaker was also recalling 149,605 Jeep Liberty SUVs from the 2006-2007 model years to fix the heating-ventilation-air conditioning blower motor. Chrysler had received a dozen reports of fires from Liberty owners.

In a third move, Chrysler said it was recalling nearly 11,000 Dodge Avenger passenger cars from the 2008 model year to fix problems with the front driver and passenger side door latches.

There were no crashes or injuries reported in connection to the recalls, Chrysler said.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration had opened defect investigations involving the Durango and Liberty.

In the Durango, Chrysler spokesman Max Gates said an integrated circuit in the instrument panel could get overloaded and lead to overheating and affect the interior lighting.

Owners will be notified about the Durango recall in April. The vehicles will be inspected and those SUVs with instrument panels that fail the review will get replacement parts.

The company said if drivers notice problems with the interior lights, they should take their vehicles to a dealer for inspection. In some cases, the interior lights will not properly dim after the doors are closed.

In the Liberty recall, Gates said the blower motors could fail if the air conditioning is being used on high during hot weather.

Drivers who smell an odor such as overheated plastic should keep their blower motor below the highest setting until they bring their vehicle in for service, Chrysler said. Liberty owners are expected to receive notices about the recall in May.

In the Avenger recall, Chrysler said owners will be notified when enough parts are available. The front door latches will be changed to make sure they work properly.

As of yet, no recall posted for mine.

VIN Number:
XXXXXXXX
Vehicle Description:
JEEP LIBERTY LTD EDITION 4X4 SPORT UTILITY 4-DR
Model Year:

No Incomplete Recalls or Customer Satisfaction Notifications Exist

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, but glad to say that it is pass my model! Yep

2003KJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the post. I wasn't aware of an issue like this with the late model KJ's.....and you'd think by now we'd have heard something from atleast SOMEBODY on here about an issue such as this, but I guess not.

Also glad my year is not affected....

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Thanks for the post. I wasn't aware of an issue like this with the late model KJ's.....and you'd think by now we'd have heard something from atleast SOMEBODY on here about an issue such as this, but I guess not.

Also glad my year is not affected....
Yeah... that's the one thing... you know and heard about the ball joints... but this?

This came out of nowhere.

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it is winter. How many people use AC in the winter? Soutthern parts of Florida, Texas, Cali, Nevada, Arizona, NM.....perhaps.

True, haven't heard one peep about it, on the two main boards, until now, which is odd.

GoBlue

Reaction score

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
FYI Hyedipin, there's a yard in Brooklyn that has an almost fully intact 05 Limited. I have been ordering a bunch of parts off them.

We have one near my job but I never thought of going in there and asking if they got a KJ.
Where is that place? if it's near jfk, i might pay a visit

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, Brooklyn :) So maybe 5 minutes from JFK. They were right aroung the neighborhood from where I lived in Flushing. It's an 05 Limited fully loaded. Heated seats, the works. Completely intact minus some front end damage and the windshield...and what I already claimed from it. If I were closer I would come get those seats as they are exactly what I want. As it is, I stripped them of some other stuff ;) VERY nice crew there, especially for Brooklyn, or even New York for that matter. PMing you the address so you can get first dibs.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, not mine. And click on the picture, it is hyperlinked to the true story :)

See, what really happened is the gas tank is located right behind the bumper and he was rear ended at 2MPH and it just BURST INTO FLAMES. Chrysler knows about this and refuses to fix it... blah blah blah etc etc Call me a jerk, I am sick of activists with phoney agendas.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:

See, what really happened is the gas tank is located right behind the bumper and he was rear ended at 2MPH and it just BURST INTO FLAMES. Chrysler knows about this and refuses to fix it... blah blah blah etc etc Call me a jerk, I am sick of activists with phoney agendas.

You mean that was a "Pinto" before the fire........................

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:

Maybe once we get chrysler to fix our jeep pintoliberty we can get them to fix the pesky belt-slippage/alternator pulley clutch issue. Until then, i guess we'll have to keep buying gator-back belts!

\:D/

Has anyone noticed that these spammers are not at all good at hiding their true intentions?

As for the recall, it seemed to come out of nowhere, which is what suprises me. Usually we know about these ahead of time.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a fake recall, you don't understand! They are trying to trick us into bringing it in for a fire hazard fix on the A/C, when they are really going to swap out the gas tank! BE WARNED!

Suddenly I feel I should listen to these crazy people's rants instead of making fun of them. Anyone who ever travelled down Knox Abbott Rd in Cayce/West Columbia, SC knows the crazy abortion guy that just walks back and forth down the median 16 hours a day waving his hand so fast he has developed a rubber wrist that just flops back and forth. Absolutely nuts. He wears a baby pouch with a terminated fetus in it and holds a giant stop sign. One day I got stopped next to him waiting on the red light and he came to my window and called my fiancee a ***** who was going to hell to add more men to Satan's army and to repent. I digress....

jkl

Reaction score
wonder if the recall will grab the 05 and maybe the 04 after there's a few more fires reported on the year models... like the ball joint fiasco.