Just ordered a MOPAR Roof Mounted Cargo box & Sport Rail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wellp, my life situation has changed somewhat (details to follow) and we're going to be needing more room. We have the 02KJ and a 98 Civic (My daily driver). The civic is paid off already, so we were considering trading in the KJ on a bigger vehicle.... until I came up with this stop-gap solution, which hopefully will buy me a couple years.

You must be registered for see images

This is the MOPAR cargo carrier 28x90, so it's like 15 cu feet of space. I believe its p/n 82207341. Got a good deal on it, I think... the cargo carrier with the 2 crossbeams for $300. If all goes well I'll be picking it up this Saturday.

Heres another site with the same thing if anyone is interested.

Anyway, my questions. Does anyone have experience with this thing? I might have to attach it in a parking lot, in the rain, so any advice I can get up front would be appreciated. If it fits in the back, and it's raining, it's sure as hell gonna go in and not up top. So, the cross rails I'm getting are "Mopar Sport-Utility Bars" - I'm sure someone here must have these. What's involved in putting them on?

Thanks all-

Blu

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice deal, I was looking at Thule boxes a while back -- for a 15cu ft box your looking ~450 sans racks to mount it too!

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya.. I was lookin @ the Thule ones too. I think the mrs would prefer THULE on the side of the box than MOPAR (The mopar logo on the one I'm getting is way bigger than the pic above) but, oh well. I hope this thing fits in the back of the kj, kuz it's looking like thunderstorms all day tomorrow, and I really dont wanna have to install this thing in a parking lot in a downpour.

Anyone have know anything about the crossbars and how they go in? Are they just snap in, or bolt on or what? I dont know that I'll even get the crappy mopar-picture-illustration-directions with it. New parts, but not from a dealer/etc.

-Blu

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got this thing over the weekend. Initial impressions:

* The cargo box is bigger than I figured it would be. It really augments the amount of available cargo room nicely.

* The Sport crossbars are really quite nice. I had problems getting one bolt in, and I'll likely have to replace it. It's in, but not good. If I can find an alternative bolt w/o having to go to Jeep I'll do it, since these bars arent coming off anytime soon.

* I'm really impressed with the mechanism that connects the box to the rails. Basically it's 4 big U-Bolt type things that press up under the rails, into 2 corresponding holes on the bottom of the box. A twisty-ratchet-type thing then twists/locks the bolt into place, so if you have good aim, you can almost do it yourself.

* I'm still trying to figure out how to plug 4 small holes in the bottom. It comes with corresponding plastic pieces (which seem like they COULD work) but I'm having problems with them.

* The color of the box matches the sport trim nicely. Added bonus.

* The MOPAR logos were actually stickers, which were very easy to permanantly remove. At some point I'll try to add some Jeep stickers or maybe even a trail-rated badge :)

* With the box installed, I was surprised that the KJ handling didnt seem to change much, if at all. There was no noticable extra noise (not that it's the quietest vehicle to begin with, but y'know).

* I also was surprised that my gas milage was pretty close to what I'd expect without the box.. was in the high 19s after ~200 miles of about 70% highway driving, 30% totally not highway.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it, and the scrooge-side of me is thrilled with what I paid for them. The sport rails retail for $165, and the larger cargo box around $445.... so I think I did pretty ok at $300.

Anyway, I can post pix if anyone is interested.

-Blu

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try some black RTV, or even sillicone caulk to patch those holes.

Sound's like a sweet deal you got though, and yeah, pics would rock. :)

-Brian

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blu, it looks really big. That wouldn't be a bad idea for a long trip as to not take up too much inside room. I might have missed this, but how does it lock?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in posting pix.

Here's the side view

From the front/side

From the front.

With the carrier open, gives you some idea about the room.

Heres the connecting mechanism. This is the inside of the carrier. There are 4 of these, 2 on the front rail, 2 on the back. The hexagonal thing coming up is a U bolt kinda thinggie. To disconnect unlock the clip (1), twist the mechanism (2) - the bolt is then removable.

What do you think?

-Blu

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL. I actually just took it off after taking the pix. I'm suprised by what a different look the libby has, just with the crossbars on it.

-Blu

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Just ordered a MOPAR Roof Mounted Cargo box & Sport

BluPhant said:
p/n 82207341. Got a good deal on it, I think... the cargo carrier with the 2 crossbeams for $300. Thanks all-

Blu

did you mean to say $399.00, or $300? Just wondering, as i would kill to get my hands on one for 300, and the website you linked to said $399.

Thanks,
-Brian

Flaren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a really nice looking install! The cargo bin looks really nice and sleek, not bulky or boxy at all. I'll have to consider gettingo ne of those for all the outdoors club stuff I'm gonna end up hauling for the kids. White water rafting in Maine in June, can't wait!

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Cableguy said:
did you mean to say $399.00, or $300? Just wondering, as i would kill to get my hands on one for 300, and the website you linked to said $399.

Brian-

I got it off a failed ebay auction. Was listed 2x with starting price of $300, and noone bid on it. I contacted the seller and arranged to purchase it for $300. Fortunately, it was a local place to my folks, so I was able to go pick it up and didnt have to pay shipping.

-Blu

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

BluPhant said:
Brian-

I got it off a failed ebay auction. Was listed 2x with starting price of $300, and noone bid on it. I contacted the seller and arranged to purchase it for $300. Fortunately, it was a local place to my folks, so I was able to go pick it up and didnt have to pay shipping.

-Blu

Wow... lucky you. *cries in corner*

guess i'll just have to keep an eye out for a deal, thanks for the info anyhow!

Latest posts

Members online