Just how capable...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....is my 4x2 of actually driving 'off-road?' I don't know if this is the right section to post this. I was just curious what type of condition I could push the Jeep the farthest is considering that it's not a 4x4. Just curious! :-k

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, with a 4x2, you do not get 4low. I live in eastern ky which is mostly hills and such. I MUST use 4low b/c I would burn the ****** up if I didnt. Also, if you get into any deep mud, you need those front wheels to "pull" you through the mud. Without those front wheels, you will just sink and then push the mud around.. You would really need a locker or good Limited slip to be "ok" offroad. O:)

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to test my 02 limited on some type of course just to see "first-hand" what I could get away with in a pinch.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so go to Camp Jeep. No idea where it is going to be in 07, but it was in Wisconsin last year, I believe.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't imagine the 2WD would be very capable, but I believe it would be more capable than your average 2WD truck or RWD car, just because the extra weight in the rear of the vehicle over the drive wheels.

I had both a 4x4 Ranger, and a 4x4 Explorer, same gears, both open diffs, same vehicle basically, clear down to the frame, but the Explorer was better in 2WD than the Ranger, because of the extra weight back there.

On the other hand, I had a different Ranger back in the day, with trac-loc, and in 2WD, it was much better than either of the other two....

Latest posts

Members online