Jeep Patriot Power Steering Spraying From Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have NEVER seen anything like this before...

Click for video...

You must be registered for see images attach

Anyone know why the PS rack would SPRAY fluid out of the boot like that?!?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree - that's a first.

There must be a seal that's gone bad inside the rack that is allowing the fluid to pool in the boot - and from there it's shooting out a pin-size hole.

Is the rack on a Patriot mounted similarly to a Liberty? In other words, can it be pulled out the wheel well to R&R?

Bob

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree - that's a first.

There must be a seal that's gone bad inside the rack that is allowing the fluid to pool in the boot - and from there it's shooting out a pin-size hole.

Is the rack on a Patriot mounted similarly to a Liberty? In other words, can it be pulled out the wheel well to R&R?

Bob

As far as I can tell, it might be a little bit too far back to pull out the wheel well. It seems to be on the rear of the engine cradle. It looks like you might actually just be able to unbolt the sway bar, unbolt the rack, then slide it right off.

I was surprised when I was under there to find that there were quite a few things that are actually EASIER to replace on a Patriot. Oil pan and gasket being one of them - Everything is accessible from the bottom and would drop straight down. Easy peasy.

I wonder what could have caused this. Was it a coincidence that this happened RIGHT after replacing the alternator, 2 idlers, and tensioner??? Could the tow that she had have done something??!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online