Jeep Noob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought my 2007 Khaki Liberty Sport on Saturday. Went to the lot looking at a 2003 S10 crew cab, drove it and didn't like it. Then we saw the Liberty. It was priced $1000 less than the S10, and was 4 years newer. Had higher miles on it than I wanted at 125k, but it was spotless under the hood and runs awesome, so that's what we came home with. We got out of there with a pretty good deal, and are enjoying it so far.

I've always liked off-roading, but never had a Jeep. Had a 93 S10 Blazer as my first vehicle, that my dad bought new and I learned after only 2 weeks of having my license that it did not float (the hard way). Next vehicle was an 87 Subaru Brat...it was a piece of crap but I learned a lot about working on vehicles from it. After that I bought a 91 Geo Prizm off of a friend for $500, and ran the piss out of it like any 17 year old would. Bought a 93 Geo Tracker during my senior year and did relatively a lot of work to it (spacer lift, bigger tires/wheels, Shrockworks bumper, bed lined interior, headers, clutch, bunch of small stuff here and there)...sold that some years later, which I regret. Since that, I've had an 06 Civic Si, 00 Miata SE, 04 Mustang GT with a bunch of bolt-ons (miss that one too), 06 Trailblazer (mainly the wife's), 95 Probe GT, 99 Grand Prix GTP, 10 F150 XLT crew cab (mainly the wife's, but I wheeled that thing a lot also), 13 Mazda CX5, then my 03 SVT Focus that I just traded in for the Liberty. Yeah, I go through cars. Plan on keeping the Mazda and Jeep for a while though...

Plans for the Libby, want to lift it RIGHT and put some bigger tires on (nothing crazy, 31" or so), MBRP exhaust (for the sound, not expecting horsepower), CB radio, upgraded sound system (aftermarket head unit and speakers, no subs or amp or anything), maybe an aftermarket bumper (who makes them for the KJ?), a better roof rack setup, and small stuff here and there.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome 92fox.

Dave

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank guys!

ARB is good stuff..they make the Old Man Emu stuff too, right?

Already read a decent bit about lifts, just need to decide on a budget as far as lift and tires, and what size tires I want. What are my options for recalibrating the speedo after changing tire sizes?

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only complaint so far is the placement of the oil filter (not easy to get to) plus the damned idiot who changed the oil before me tightened the filter entirely too tight...been working at it for an hour with zero luck, finally had to take a break. First time I've ever needed a filter wrench...

Love it in all other ways so far, I find myself making reasons to run errands so I can drive it. :)

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the filter wrench...and the filter is so $%$^# tight that it just crushed under the wrench and the wrench broke. I'm stumped...

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Jab a big screw driver through the filter and use it to twist... ???

I've never had to do it but I have heard tell it's been done :D

Once you get used to it, and if your arms are long enough ;) it's pretty easy access...

What are my options for recalibrating the speedo after changing tire sizes?

Easiest way is to check with the dealer.. all I can tell you is my 05 can't be adjusted :(

Last edited:

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it off this afternoon...got a claw filter remover thing. Turns out, the filter that was on there was incorrect. it was a Fram 3614, and our Jeep calls for a Fram 3600. It was about half the length of the replacement Purolator I put on...I plan on changing the filter again in about 1000 miles as a precaution, since the engine obviously wasn;t getting the filtration it needed for who knows how long.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea that ***** when the filter is cranked on there...hand tighten only! (I know you didn't do it, just sayin')

I have no complaints about changing the oil in the KJ though. Easiest vehicle I've ever had to do...don't need to jack it up to get to the plug, and can get to the oil filter easily under the hood.

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said, the filter on it was entirely too small, so I was having to reach way further up in there than I should have. Probably wouldn't have been as much of a pain in the butt otherwise. The new one is definitely only hand tight though.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only complaint so far is the placement of the oil filter (not easy to get to) plus the damned idiot who changed the oil before me tightened the filter entirely too tight...been working at it for an hour with zero luck, finally had to take a break. First time I've ever needed a filter wrench...

Love it in all other ways so far, I find myself making reasons to run errands so I can drive it. :)

I know how you feel with the oil filter, except mine was the right size. Now that it's only hand tightened I won't have that problem again.:happy3:

And for those who say it's easier to reach it from the top... it's impossible in mine unless you have arms the thickness of a pencil. The fan is huge and in the way.:icon_cry: