Jeep Mechanics: Dinghy Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ogfalcon

Reaction score
Hey guys, just a couple quick questions for any mechanics out there about towing a KJ behind another vehicle. I towed my KJ on a car dolley, because I didn't want to add all the mounts to tow it 4-down, and my car hauler was 1100 miles away. In my manual there were no warnings about dolley towing, but in the online manual, I found this:

Towing — 4WD Models
CAUTION!
Internal damage to the transfer case will occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational towing.

Why, how, and what kind of damage would occur when using a car dolley? It just doesn't make sense, because with the transfer case in neutral, the driveshafts will freewheel, and with the manual ****** in any forward gear (as the manual states) the ****** won't try to rotate as the KJ is towed. There don't seem to be any lubrication problems or anything. I'm posting this message here, because my dealer and service techs at the dealer don't understand the warning either, and gave me the go-ahead to tow my KJ on a dolley. Now, I have a weird clicking noise in the steering column when I turn the wheels. It doesn't sound like transfer case damage and sounds more like a messed up steering wheel lock, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
OG