Jeep makes a loud noise when I accelerate.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrinkenb

Reaction score
This morning on the way to work, about 10 miles into my drive, i started to hear a loud hum/buzzing noise coming from what seemed like the passanger side of my dash. As I accelerated it got louder, I slowed down for a stop sign and it stopped. When I started speeding up again it started, I slowed down for a turn and it stopped. No lights are coming on in the dash. I live in Minnesota and I did wash it yesterday since the temp was over 30 degrees.
Any ideas?????

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it RPM related or speed related? Try revving engine to similar RPMs at neutral and check if it is still there to eliminate speed related issues. Good luck figuring it out.

Jrinkenb

Reaction score
My rpm's were normal...i had my cruise control on and it made the noise, when I slowed down for a stop sign and to turn it went away. the more I speed up the louder it seemed to get. I asked a few people at work and someone thought speedometer cable needed to be oiled but does an 2005 Jeep Liberty have a cable or is it all computer?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He doesn't mean were the RPM's normal, he means is the noise associated with engine speed or vehicle speed...

If you're at a stop, put the KJ in Neutral and you speed the engine up and down (don't rev it, steadily increase and decrease RPM), does the noise come and go (or get louder and quieter). That tells you it's dependent on engine speed, not vehicle speed.

When driving and the noise is going on, throw the KJ in Neutral (so you're coasting) and slow down to see if the noise changes. If so, then it's dependent on vehicle speed, not engine speed.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rpm's were normal...i had my cruise control on and it made the noise, when I slowed down for a stop sign and to turn it went away. the more I speed up the louder it seemed to get. I asked a few people at work and someone thought speedometer cable needed to be oiled but does an 2005 Jeep Liberty have a cable or is it all computer?

No cable, it's all done through wiring.

Jrinkenb

Reaction score
I'll have to try it on my lunch break....let's say when i but it in neutral the noise is still there - what is the cause of it?
Or when I put it in neutral the noise goes away - what is the cause?
And how do I fix?
I'm starting to regret buying a Jeep - was in the shop last week getting the coil and crank sensor replaced - the day after I got it back, my oxygen sensor went. Now I have an annoying noise. It's only an 05 with 52,000 miles on it.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't an '05 with 52k on it be covered under the 7 year/70k mile powertrain warranty?

Jrinkenb

Reaction score
I didn't buy it brand new - Bought it last year from a dealership - only had a 30 day warranty. Is there a way to check to see if I should be covered under a 7yr/70k warranty?
I put it in neutral while driving and it still makes the noise. While i was in park I put it in neutral and accelerted and it did not make the noise.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they may be some small transfer fee or something, like $100. I am not sure really. I'd create a seperate post to ask, I know I have read people discussing it on here.

It's similar to the 3/36 - doesn't matter if it was new or used, the vehicle can be on it's 5th owner at 20k and be covered under a 3/36.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to try it on my lunch break....let's say when i but it in neutral the noise is still there - what is the cause of it?
Or when I put it in neutral the noise goes away - what is the cause?
And how do I fix?
I'm starting to regret buying a Jeep - was in the shop last week getting the coil and crank sensor replaced - the day after I got it back, my oxygen sensor went. Now I have an annoying noise. It's only an 05 with 52,000 miles on it.

I would go back to shop and ask them to find it, after all that work obviously they messed something up (if the noise was not there before).
That shop, is it a dealer by any chance?

Jrinkenb

Reaction score
No the shop is not a dealer, the dealership I bought the jeep from closed a few months after I purchased it. I'm going back to the shop, to get my censor fixed for P0038 code I'm now getting, next Monday. I'm wondering if a fan or belt would make the noise if it was cold or something.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I think they may be some small transfer fee or something, like $100. I am not sure really. I'd create a seperate post to ask, I know I have read people discussing it on here.

It's similar to the 3/36 - doesn't matter if it was new or used, the vehicle can be on it's 5th owner at 20k and be covered under a 3/36.

True... except the 7/70 only rolls over to the 2nd owner. Anyone after that is not eligible.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True... except the 7/70 only rolls over to the 2nd owner. Anyone after that is not eligible.

Do you have to have it transferred somehow then? 3/36 doesn't matter who brings it in, it's covered. The 7/70 they'd have to have a way of tracking who owned the vehicle then.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Do you have to have it transferred somehow then? 3/36 doesn't matter who brings it in, it's covered. The 7/70 they'd have to have a way of tracking who owned the vehicle then.

Oh and believe me they know. ;) The dealership can do the transfer or I think you can call Chrysler HQ as well.

Lou48314

Reaction score
I still have the 3/36 on mine. No transfer fee for that one.
I think it was $200 to transfer the 7/70. Cheap insurance I would say.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I still have the 3/36 on mine. No transfer fee for that one.
I think it was $200 to transfer the 7/70. Cheap insurance I would say.

***** that they didn't offer the 7/70 for the 2006 and (most) 2007s. Then they turned around and started that whole Lifetime Warranty stuff. (OK, that's a serious warranty, but still... they should have offered SOMETHING for those model years besides the basic 3/36.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally agree Marlon. I am creeping up on 30k on my '07, so it's almost out of warranty.