jeep liberty diesel for sale

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an email today someone have a 2005 jeep liberty diesel for sale that needs the engine rebuild. what kind of engine is in that , I know nothing about diesels

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
It's a VM Motori made in Italia. Owned by Detroit Diesel.

How bad is the engine blown?

LOST JEEPS has the most info on the KJ CRD.

scottg

Reaction score
for something that needs a engine or a rebuild, $3,999 seems like ALOT of money

KBB for that, in that zip code, puts it at Fair condition at $5,460.

That leaves you with $1,461 in "valve" to get it running.

Last edited:

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be thinking under $2000 if it's in great shape. Thing about buying a vehicle you know has a bad motor is that can be a $2000 plus repair bill if done by a shop or maybe just for parts if diy. If nothing else is broken.

Really depends what it's worth to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dieselmotorhead

Reaction score
Yes it is only worth around 2K- it is a project for sure. If the timing belt skipped or broke, it broke all the rocker arms. If everything broke the way it should the valves are undamaged. There have been other issues with that engine. Head gaskets, and cylinder liner leaks ( rare ). A broken open injector can destroy the top and bottom end by diluting the oil. Ceramic glow plugs that break destroy the head and a piston. The good news is there are parts and expertise, the bad news is everything is expensive. I just bought a 2000$ project 2005 liberty sport with VM engine. This is a project for me , not a profit job ( does not make $sense ) . If you want a wrenching project and have some credit card money AFTER you buy it! The vendors ( ID parts, green diesel etc ) will be very happy.
The easiest job is the valve crash. another 500$ or so in parts on top of the 500$ ( minimum ) in parts for the belt job. Leaking cylinder head gasket another good candidate, a little more involved ( ARP head bolts, and gasket ).

dieselmotorhead

Reaction score
OBTW where is this car? I am becoming better at working on them, have less tyrretts while wrenching.
I have a 2006 liberty with VM engine, in process of doing timing belt ( plus OEM water pump, thermostat, radiator, samco intercooler hoses, radiator hoses, reachable glow plugs, tensioners, idlers, fluid change in all oily boxes ) yes $$ for parts.
Also a 2005 liberty with blown VM engine off E bay for 2025$ still assessing condition, basket case from a shop- 3200$ estimate- repair refused.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Good that it runs.

Figure on:

timing belt kit 400.00
ARP studs 350.00
Weeks EGR delete kit 250.00?
lift pump 250.00
GDE tune 500.00
torbo hoses 200.00
new rockers 250.00
special tools 200.00?
new fuel filter head 130.00

Guessing at some of the numbers. Add lots more if it needs a new head or turbo. Multiply by ten if you have to pay someone to do the work and flip a coin as to whether or not it's done correctly.

I picked up a non-runner for 500.00 a half mile away but I'm already addicted.

Here's your choice... Quit anytime you like, or, run screaming into the night.

The torque is nice.

dieselmotorhead

Reaction score
All numbers above are in right ballpark. Opting for OE water pump- extra money. The special tool is a lifesaver- I got the miller cam sprocket tool $$$ 600$, plus the timing pins ~ $70 there is a "universal"l cam sprocket tool that will work for around 200$. These are also available for rent from some of the vendors ( with big CC deposit). Do not expect a normal shop to have a clue. Find a diesel shop ($$) or DIY.

DennisG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel

I would not offer more the $1000 my self, got to figure if there rust or not.
you say Florida no rust , bull I've bought some cars in florida that never been out of the state and there rusted bad. never know

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK... here's the deal OP. You state that you know nothing about diesels.. so that tells me that any work to be done on this thing, unless it's stone cold stupid simple, is going to have to be done by a competent diesel shop. I'm guessing if whatever was wrong with it was in any way easy or simple to fix, it would have been fixed and thus, not for sale.

So the sellers asking price is ridiculous. You're going to have $1000 into this minimum if a shop deals with it.. that number could easily get into the 3-4000 range.

Be aware, and beware. the CRD KJ's are great... but if you have no clue how to maintain, repair, or in any way deal with a diesel, it can also be a nightmare for that type of owner.

I saw it all the time with owners of VW diesels... think they got a rock solid car/engine and don't know diddly (not anyone's fault) about the diesel... ran into huge issues when it came to maintenance, and when a repair bill came that was 2-3x what it would be for a gas engine, they about lost their $hit.