Jeep just died in traffic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewerJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got out of long day of work and i stopped...so didn't the engine. Jeep wont even try and crank over. All the lights and everything works but the starter wont even try and crank over engine. I don't think check engine light is on or anything indicating something wrong. It just died and wont even try and start back up. Any known issues of this happening on these vehicles? I just had it towed home

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll give it a try I guess so you can get started until more experienced help arrives. Obviously it could be the battery or alternator. Try starting it in neutral, there is a common problem where it wont start in park but will start in neutral. Do you have a multimeter to check the battery or battery charger or second vehicle with jumper cables?

NewerJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery isn't dead. I tried in neutral also. I had nothing to tap engine parts with and was totally dark, too dark to see anything.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the well known Actuator Pin Assembly broken....do a search for it.
This pin turns the ignition key and snaps off at the end...you need to get a new one from Dorman as the dealers do not stock it.

In the meantime...assuming your battery is fine, the battery connections are clean and tight, the negative lead going to chassis and the grounding straps grounding the engine to chassis are clean and tight all ends and the connectors on the starter solenoid/starter motor are firm....then to get yourself home first swap over the Starter Relay in the box under the hood with an identical one next to it. Likewise swap over the ASD Relay with an identical one.

If this does not help, with the Jeep in Park or Neutral so you do not run yourself over....remove the Starter Relay and check the numbering of the Female pins inside the Relay socket. With the key in the ignition slot and ignition turned ON....briefly jumper female pins 30 and 87 together inside the relay socket. provided Fuse 8 (40 A) under the hood is OK the engine should turn over and fire!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the well known Actuator Pin Assembly broken....do a search for it.
This pin turns the ignition key and snaps off at the end...you need to get a new one from Dorman as the dealers do not stock it.

In the meantime...assuming your battery is fine, the battery connections are clean and tight, the negative lead going to chassis and the grounding straps grounding the engine to chassis are clean and tight all ends and the connectors on the starter solenoid/starter motor are firm....then to get yourself home first swap over the Starter Relay in the box under the hood with an identical one next to it. Likewise swap over the ASD Relay with an identical one.

If this does not help, with the Jeep in Park or Neutral so you do not run yourself over....remove the Starter Relay and check the numbering of the Female pins inside the Relay socket. With the key in the ignition slot and ignition turned ON....briefly jumper female pins 30 and 87 together inside the relay socket. provided Fuse 8 (40 A) under the hood is OK the engine should turn over and fire!

I disagree. It probably wouldn't just die while sitting in traffic.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just off the top of my head I know of nothing that could just up and make the Jeep die and not engage the starter besides a bad alternator (thus dead battery) or the PCM taking a dump.

When you turn the key on, does the fuel pump prime? Do you get the check engine light when you turn the key on?

You say the battery isnt dead, how do you know? Try jumping it from another vehicle.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery isn't dead. I tried in neutral also. I had nothing to tap engine parts with and was totally dark, too dark to see anything.

And this is why I carry a good flashlight with me at all times. Not just in the vehicle mind you... but clipped in my pocket, with a larger, higher capacity light in my EDC bag.

People sometimes make fun of me for always having a light... but who's laughing when it's dark and I won't share?

OP, did it die will driving or idling in traffic? Or was it stopped, off, went to start it but couldn't?

You say all the lights work, I assume you see dash lights illuminate when the key is turned to ON, when you go to crank the engine in the START position, do they momentarily go out, then come back on when you release the key?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disagree. It probably wouldn't just die while sitting in traffic.

Agreed...don't know why it died but the first thing is to try get it to turn over.
Ignition switch may have failed...not just the actuator pin. Could be crank or cam sensor, fuel blockage, ASD relay...always worth swapping with another one...same goes for Fuel Pump Relay, a fuse blown etc. Pulling codes may help point the way!

My method should get it to turn over but it may not fire due to whatever caused it to stall in the first place but you should at least be able to check for fuel and spark!:icon_confused:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Check all fuses and all applicable relays incl ASD..
Have you successfully used this scanner on the Jeep before?
If yes, Possibly the PCM connections are the problem or it cooked itself ? =eek.
If you have not used this scanner on Jeep before, try another scanner.

NewerJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used scanner on Jeep when I bought it to make sure no problems hiddin or codes. So it has worked on it before

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start checking your fuses for a blown one. Some vehicles power the ALDL outlet on the same circuit as the lighter/accessory outlet. Or maybe if you're lucky, your two issues are related to the same power outage.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used scanner on Jeep when I bought it to make sure no problems hiddin or codes. So it has worked on it before

Did you ever try to jump it from another vehicle like Jeepjeepster recommended? Just had a subaru do this to me. It was the battery. Happened without warning.

NewerJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im gonna have to bring it to the dealership to find out whats wrong with it. I am probably thinking computer or pcm. I just bought a brand new 2016 f150 today though :) I'll have the jeep fixed soon and drive the jeep back n forth to work racking up miles on that instead of new truck

Latest posts

Members online