JBA UCA Ball Joint / Bushing Greasing Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randomuser107

Reaction score
I believe that I read somewhere in the boxing that the JBA UCA ball joints came pre-greased, but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway - 6k miles later, I'm trying to grease the ball joints and have noticed they're practically empty, I probably screwed up and made the job harder for myself at this point, but I kept pumping grease in the single ball joint I was doing, it's now fat as heck and grease STILL hasn't leaked out of the underneath, which was the cue I was using for determining whether the ball joints are full or not... should I keep pumping, or did I &@#^ up royally as usual and now made things harder for myself in some way? There seem to be zip ties on the upper part of my upper ball joint... should I try removing the zip tie and squeezing out excess grease? I put like 10 pumps in expecting grease to leak out when they were ready, I know, I'm stupid lol. I know that it says 3-5 on JBA FAQ's but I was guessing that was for maintenance rather than if they're empty... oops :/

Could I technically just squeeze the boot until grease comes out if I'm gentle enough while leaving the zip tie on? Please tell me yes lol.

Also... having trouble fitting the hose in to grease up the bushings but I guess I will just buy a 90 degree coupler maybe to fit in there?

Thanks again.

Only a 2.5" lift, btw.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom knows the new ones, you could also contact Jba.
Marlin seems to have the new rebuildables & K6292 ones that came with the 4.5 A-Arms.
Gosh my 4.5 arms w/K692 ball joints/ boots are so old... I don't have to worry about secured grease boots, squeeze gun and it gushes out lol.
If the boot is fat, that must mean you have grease in there.
Do you have a pic of the secured boot/set up? Something I would like to see installed.
I have a pistol grip. Basically hold it firm onto zerk fitting & squeeze that 707L grease in there.
You must be registered for see images attach

randomuser107

Reaction score
Alright... for the sake of science and helping anyone who might be as inexperienced as I am, I want it to be known that you can simply pinch the bottom of the boot up toward the top and squeeze out any extra grease you might have accidentally pumped into the ball joint while holding it in that position - I did it from multiple angles and it seemed to work well.

I called JBA and the official word was that you can take a metal hanger and pry gently on the bottom part of the boot and push out grease, the bottom of the boot is meant to be elastic and will go back afterwards without issues.

randomuser107

Reaction score
Tom knows the new ones, you could also contact Jba.
Marlin seems to have the new rebuildables & K6292 ones that came with the 4.5 A-Arms.
Gosh my 4.5 arms w/K692 ball joints/ boots are so old... I don't have to worry about secured grease boots, squeeze gun and it gushes out lol.
If the boot is fat, that must mean you have grease in there.
Do you have a pic of the secured boot/set up? Something I would like to see installed.
I have a pistol grip. Basically hold it firm onto zerk fitting & squeeze that 707L grease in there.

You use 707L? I used Mobilux EP2 NLGI 2 grease, it was a vaseline color, but I noticed that the grease inside the boot I squeezed out was actually blue - is the 707L grease blue as well?

Also, the boot was fat like a blown up balloon only after, I pumped about 12 pumps into it .. LOL. But I squeezed out a lot. I did 5 pumps on the opposite side and squeezed out from the overgreased side until they looked about even. When you squeeze your boots do you feel a generous amount of grease in there? I squeezed the properly filled 5 pump side and felt like there wasn't much to feel inside the boot... figured I'd just leave my guess work out of the situation and left it lol - I'll run outside and take a pic for you of what both sides look like now.

Here's the over-pumped drivers side ball joint boot :

5-pump passenger side ball joint boot:

Which looks more "correct to you guys... should it have that bend I see in the passenger side... or should it be more full as in the over-greased driver's side?

Also looks like I might have to go back out there and clean up the drivers side and make sure the bottom of the boot is sealed like the passenger side probably... looks a bit off.

So I went back out to play with the over-greased driver's side ball joint boot, wound up not needing to do much, when I pinched the boot up a bit I noticed that the seal is sitting in the same place, might just be a result of more grease and playing with the boot itself.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My Penzoil 707L is red. Kinda matches the 4.5 arms lol..

As long as the boot has some grease & is not cracked, I'm not worried about appearance.