Jack for Lifted KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so im lifted, and i understand that my factory jack is now worthless.. i have a 4 way i can use.. but what do i use for a jack?

Someone mind posting what would work from harbor freight?

thanks

Powerman04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haven't used it to lift from the side, but i hear you need a plank of wood to distribute the weight along the pinch weld on the side or you will bend it. i learned a nifty trick to slide it into my rear hitch and you can get the back up nicely. that i have done.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
ok sweet ill buy the rear hitch.. but what about the front? ( i like hi-jacks) but as my ride stands now i dont see how i could use one without breaking my baby..

and i cant gurantee when ill get around to doing the front hitch mod.

Powerman04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in theory you could do the same thing then. just dont let it angle TOO much and slide off. lol3.gif havent done that but i can see some "special" people managing it. i'll have to drag it out and work on the points just to see. i'll let you know my findings.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use the hi-lift to change your tires; especially by jacking up the entire front or rear. They are extremely unstable and therefore dangerous. You can still use the factory jack, just buy some scrap 4x4 or 4x6 wood, or buy a bottle jack from vato-zone. Either would be way safer than using the hi-lift. A hi-lift can be handy but I wouldn't pull one out to jack up my rig on the side of the highway for a flat.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Half the people I see with hi lifts for one have never used them,
two have no idea how they work,
three have no way to safely use them.
A hitch will work if you get stuck and need to jack it up a bit to try and free your Jeep but other wise unsafe.
Also a block of wood and using it on the pinch weld is just asking for trouble. It may work one time but not worth it.
Hi-lifts are stable on flat ground but most times you do not need them on flat ground.
Block of wood will work with the stock jack, can use it for other things as well and much less chance of getting hurt

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
ok talked out of the high jack..

and im not against the idea of the stock or a bottle jack..

but how much of abottle jack would i need? ( im not terribly trusting of the stock jack)

Powerman04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Half the people I see with hi lifts for one have never used them,
two have no idea how they work,
three have no way to safely use them.

mmm, i pass with B, since the hitch comment lowered my "safety" rating. i've done it, no issues.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with tommudd 100%! I wonder sometimes how many people with their hi-lift bolted down and padlocked in place even know where the keys are for it?

Don't get me wrong - I've owned and used a Hi-lift for years, and they can be quite handy, but like any tool, must be used safely. I would as a very LAST resort use only this jack to change a tire.

The safest way to change a tire is to keep the vehicle close to the ground, and lift / support it with the axle only to the point needed to get the inflated tire back on.

I don't know how many people I've seen with lifted vehicles jump out to change a flat and start cranking the Hi-lift using the front / rear bumper as the lift point. :eek:

Using the bumper increases the distance needed to go up in order to get the tire off the ground. The first 6-12 inches are needed just to uncompress the spring. Then another 6-12inches to get the tire on/off. Soon your multi-thousand pound vehicle is supported on the side you are working on by a 2-3 foot heavy-duty "pogo stick"

I've never used one, but the "sling" yellowcoyote posted looks to be about the safest way to use a hi-lift to get the tire up to where it can be properly supported by some other means. Just be careful of the body....

Eveyone should practice changing a tire in the driveway at home. This is probably the most ideal condition you will ever face, and allows you a chance to evalute the vehicles jack and the skills needed to be sucessfull. It will also bring to light any weaknesses that need to be addressed and compennsated for. Let the wife / signifigant other participate too!

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always used a standard 2 1/2 ton floor jack. just place it under the LCA or rear axle tube and start jacking. Why get fancy?

If you don't want to carry something that big, use a 3 ton(or bigger) bottle jack. It's a bit more compact to store, however, it must be placed on a sturdy, flat surface. I wouldn't suggest using it under an axle tube for example. It may slip off!

You could carry a piece of 3/16th's steel and place it under the uniframe I suppose.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never used a HI-Lift jack but I have used a farm-jack which is similar. (not on the KJ)

I carry a couple of pieces of 2x12 (left over from building steps). They come in handy to put under a jack to provide a level/stable base and also giving more lift to the jack.

Dave