Its raining INSIDE my jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals

Winter is upon us and it has rained a lot. opened my door yesterday and to my horror there was a nice little pool of water in the drivers footwell.

Now i am not one to get scared by a leaking jeep...lol. no stranger to jeeps- and that damp smell is always there. but this is A LOT of water. i sat in the jeep today while it rained outside ans the water is really dripping hard from this spot. over the steering wheel and onto my seat.

So i went to my jeep guy and he said it is either the sunroof (that was not opened in years. the fuse is out and i quit cleaning the gutters because of that) or it is rust on the window frame.

however - this friggin amount of water is quite unusual.

Based on the location of the drip and the sheer amount of rainwater - what do you think is the cause?

Attachments

• 20220116_181756.jpg
    20220116_181756.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 19

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Sunroof has four drains. From your description one or more is full of gunk.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not using the sunroof doesn't stop the drains from getting clogged....

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals

Winter is upon us and it has rained a lot. opened my door yesterday and to my horror there was a nice little pool of water in the drivers footwell.

Now i am not one to get scared by a leaking jeep...lol. no stranger to jeeps- and that damp smell is always there. but this is A LOT of water. i sat in the jeep today while it rained outside ans the water is really dripping hard from this spot. over the steering wheel and onto my seat.

So i went to my jeep guy and he said it is either the sunroof (that was not opened in years. the fuse is out and i quit cleaning the gutters because of that) or it is rust on the window frame.

however - this friggin amount of water is quite unusual.

Based on the location of the drip and the sheer amount of rainwater - what do you think is the cause?
Hey

Roof all fixed. gutters cleaned. did a little experiment- duct taped the sunroof and waited. after a rainy night - same problem!!!

Sure- there was less water in the driver footwell. and the rood lining is now dry - but still - quite wet

Ideas?

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Hey

Roof all fixed. gutters cleaned. did a little experiment- duct taped the sunroof and waited. after a rainy night - same problem!!!

Sure- there was less water in the driver footwell. and the rood lining is now dry - but still - quite wet

Ideas?
Next place to check is the windshield drains. These are a bit more difficult to get to. You will need a pair of hot water heater or other large adjustable pliers.10mm ratchet, and extension, an something to pop the plastic rivets that hold on your fender flares.

The wind shield drains are located under the front fenders. They get filled up with all sorts of stuff.

In your case I suspect the passenger side. Remover the fender flare. Now, using a pare of pliers, un.sc,rew your antenna. Careful remove the plastic antenna mount cover. Now remove the big aluminum nut that holds the fender mount tight with a pair of water heater pliers. Next give the antenna mount a gentle quarter turn and push it inside the fender.

Next remove the 10 mm fender scr.ew that is just below your turn signal. Now remove the two 10 mm sc.rews on the top edge of the fender, right where the hood sits. Now gently pull the forward half of the running board cover. There are two 10mm screws under that that hold the bottom of the fender. Finally, loosen, but do not remove the two screws inside the forward edge of the passenger door. The top one is easy. The bottom one is partially obscured by the door wiring accordion, but if you a gentle, you can get it loose with the socket and an extension. Now remove the fender by gently pulling it straight out. There is a foam rubber insulator to you left as you look at the unibody quarter panel. It is just held in place by the fender, so set it aside.

Now look for the windshield drain. It is a large foam rubber surrounded hole to your upper left, just below the bottom corner of the windshield. You will need a bottle brush or something similar to clean it out. Flush it with water while you are at it. Since you are in there, you probably noticed a bunch of built up gunk at the forward end of the running board, Clean that well, dry it, and give it a shot of rustoleum or the like to prevent further corrosion.

There you have it! one done. Repeat for the driver side. Then do a test with a big bucket of water and make sure you got it!

Reverse the instructions to put your 'Bert back together.

Latest posts

Members online