Is this an issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gedster

Reaction score
My 2007 2.8 crd auto does this when the fan is on inside the cabin to demist windows ar anything but if i dont use the fan it stops doing it. Rough idle also?

Also is this the timing belt or something else, its right at the front of the car.

Tried to upload a video but wont let me. The wheel that the belt goes round it stops for a fee secs and then keeps doing it ? But the belt is still spinning. I have the video of anyone knows how to upload?

Gedster

Reaction score
Maybe a serpentine belt it chirps sometimes? Or thermostat pulley?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
The visible belt at the front of the engine is the serpentine belt which runs the alternator, power steering pump, air conditioning, and viscous heater. It also has two idler pulleys and a tensioner pulley.

The timing belt is fully enclosed just behind the serpentine belt. The timing belt runs the water pump, fuel pump, and intake & exhaust cams. It also has two idler pulleys and a tensioner.

My best guess from your post is that you have a problem with the electric clutch on the viscous heater. Maybe it's trying to engage and stopping the pulley. The viscous heater is supposed to provide some heat in the cabin but it's as useless as your appendix. Useless and ignorable until something goes wrong and it becomes a problem. "Vwdiesel" on the LOSTJEEPS forum sells a viscous heater delete kit. He's on this forum too so you might try a Personal Message although he only visits here occasionally. The viscous heater is mounted on the right side of the vehicle.

Another possibility is the alternator decoupler which disengages the alternator at high Revolutions Per Minute. It's made by Litens and can be replaced without replacing the alternator. The alternator is mounted on the left side of the vehicle. Look closely near the pulley bolt for red rusty dust to know if it's failed.

I hope this helps to narrow the possibilities for you.

Gedster

Reaction score
The visible belt at the front of the engine is the serpentine belt which runs the alternator, power steering pump, air conditioning, and viscous heater. It also has two idler pulleys and a tensioner pulley.

The timing belt is fully enclosed just behind the serpentine belt. The timing belt runs the water pump, fuel pump, and intake & exhaust cams. It also has two idler pulleys and a tensioner.

My best guess from your post is that you have a problem with the electric clutch on the viscous heater. Maybe it's trying to engage and stopping the pulley. The viscous heater is supposed to provide some heat in the cabin but it's as useless as your appendix. Useless and ignorable until something goes wrong and it becomes a problem. "Vwdiesel" on the LOSTJEEPS forum sells a viscous heater delete kit. He's on this forum too so you might try a Personal Message although he only visits here occasionally. The viscous heater is mounted on the right side of the vehicle.

Another possibility is the alternator decoupler which disengages the alternator at high Revolutions Per Minute. It's made by Litens and can be replaced without replacing the alternator. The alternator is mounted on the left side of the vehicle. Look closely near the pulley bolt for red rusty dust to know if it's failed.

I hope this helps to narrow the possibilities for you.
Hi Thank you,
Its the pulley/wheel on the right hand side of the jeep . Im not sure if its failed as it spins whilst the belt spins then the middle of the wheel stops for a few secs then starts again all whilst the belt is spinning. Id post a video but it wont let me..

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
That sounds like the viscous heater. It should only engage when the engine is cold to provide some heat to the cabin. It works about as uselessly as the heater/defrost on a VW bus. Try pulling the fuse. I have no idea which fuse or whatever else might be on the circuit with it but it's worth a try to see if it stops your problem. If you can't find the right fuse try disconnecting the electrical connector at the viscous heater.

Gedster

Reaction score
That sounds like the viscous heater. It should only engage when the engine is cold to provide some heat to the cabin. It works about as uselessly as the heater/defrost on a VW bus. Try pulling the fuse. I have no idea which fuse or whatever else might be on the circuit with it but it's worth a try to see if it stops your problem. If you can't find the right fuse try disconnecting the electrical connector at the viscous heater.

It tiks when the engine was cold yes, would that throw an error measage if i do?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can pull out the Viscous Heater Relay inside the Fuse Box under the hood.

It will post an error but will stop the viscous heater running...there is one pin on this relay that you can fold back so that it does not make contact which stops the viscous heater and stops any errors...I will check tomorrow which pin it is...major storm outside now and it is bedtime!;)

OK storm has stopped...we get major Lightning here.
Pull out the small Relay for the viscous heater. Fold pin #3 flat so that it is aiming to the sky.
Refit the relay.

This should stop the Viscous Heater running....at least it does so on my 2002 2.5 L Export CRD.

Last edited:

Gedster

Reaction score
You can pull out the Viscous Heater Relay inside the Fuse Box under the hood.

It will post an error but will stop the viscous heater running...there is one pin on this relay that you can fold back so that it does not make contact which stops the viscous heater and stops any errors...I will check tomorrow which pin it is...major storm outside now and it is bedtime!;)

OK storm has stopped...we get major Lightning here.
Pull out the small Relay for the viscous heater. Fold pin #3 flat so that it is aiming to the sky.
Refit the relay.

This should stop the Viscous Heater running....at least it does so on my 2002 2.5 L Export CRD.
Nice one mate! Appreciate that will try it... just got another light on my dash jesus! The red fuel light with water around it... gotta sort That now

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That red fuel light with water around it is probably the clear plastic container underside the fuel filter.
Do you have the Owner's Manual hiding horizontally inside the Glove Box?

This clear container pulls out any water in your diesel....either this container is full and needs to be s.c.r.e.w.e.d off and emptied or there is a problem with the wiring going to that container.

You can download the 2006 Jeep Service manual here....2007 is not available but 2006 should be close enough...I think the 2007 CRD has a drive-by-wire throttle pedal which the previous CRDs do not have.

I hate this Mother Grundy swear filter here.....but to the guys who put the Database together...I like the way you think!;)

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.