Is the KJ for me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smileyboy

Reaction score
First time poster here. I miss my XJ and I currently own a Chevy Diesel (2001, 2500hd, SB, 4WD, extended cab, )
I have no need for this truck anymore.

I am looking to get a KJ ( I was a pervious XJ owner). I will be towing 1 atv and 1 motorcycle up I70 here in Denver a few times a year, it will act as a family hauler (so i want it to be semi comfy. The XJ had too much road noise. especially after I put on the Kumho tires) on weekends and of course I will be doing some back country exploring here in Colorado.

I plan to do the Rustys 2.5" lift to the KJ. please let me know what you all think. BTW I love the site and all the tips.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure sound like a good match for you. The KJ pulls up to 5K so that shouldn't be a problem hauling your ATV and Motor Bike. You may want to take a look into the CRD liberties if you want to buy used. It might be more functional for your since you do a lot of hauling (and the price to fill er up).

Rusty's 2.5" lift will be great to!! I hope you find a KJ of your likings. Can't wait to welcome you to the family! :)

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, sounds like just the thing. As Phil said, look for a CRD so you can save some money when towing and in the hills. Good luck, they're hard as hell to find up here, and welcome to KJ Country.

smileyboy

Reaction score
Thanks all for the Replies.
What about road noise if I put on some Kumhos or BFG's? What does the liberty ride like after the lift/tires, si there a lot of road noise?

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about road noise if I put on some Kumhos or BFG's? What does the liberty ride like after the lift/tires, si there a lot of road noise?

With the BFGs, you will get more road noise, but it is by no means like what you would encounter in a Wrangler or something like that. I would not call it "a lot". And as far as towing, it should not have too much difficulty with a quad and a dirtbike. Just look for one with the towing package and be sure to get trailer brakes. Obviously, it is not going to be as comfortable towing as the Duramax you have now, but it will do a good job.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CRDs have more sound dampening in them because they wanted the quiet little diesel to be as quiet as they could get it. This helped me with the tires when I upgraded, my rig is quieter than the gassers at work with the same tire.

smileyboy

Reaction score
I found a 02 manual ****** with 85k miles on it, 3.7l engine. They are asking $9,985. Is that a good price? I am going to trade my 01 Duramax in for it if it works out. It is worth $23k at a private party. I'll have to see how this goes

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on your area. I don't think it's that great - few thousand more in my area and you could be in a 20k or 30k mile vehicle.

I am currently looking at an '06 Sport auto right now, just under 12k miles, in darn near mint condition. I've got the dealer at $16,500 out the door (6% MI tax, $100 in plates, $20 transfer fee, etc).

I am seeing 20k mile vehicles for $14k-$15k before negotiating. I'd think some 30k mile ones are around for slightly less - I won't buy one with much more than 20k on it.

Keep in mind, manual trans is rated at 3,500 lbs towing. Auto with a towing package - extra fan, oil cooler, trans cooler - is supposedly rated at 5,000. That seems excessive to me, I wouldn't tow 5k with one.

Again, supply and demand, depends on what you see in your area.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a 02 manual ****** with 85k miles on it, 3.7l engine. They are asking $9,985. Is that a good price? I am going to trade my 01 Duramax in for it if it works out. It is worth $23k at a private party. I'll have to see how this goes

Hmmmm .... depends on how cared for the Jeep was. How about looking into something with a little less miles? For only a few more thousand you can get an 04 with options.

smileyboy

Reaction score
I'm on the cheap right now. I'm trying to simplify and minimize my car payment without going to nuts on a vehicle.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I think you could do a little bit better on the '02. I mean the KK has been announced. That and I've seen '02s go for about a thousand less.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you could go newer for that price now. However, the 02 does have the better ****** and you are planning on doing a lot of towing.

Donnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll give you mine for 16k :). 44k w/ 85k warranty on the vehicle. All the options: heated leather, sunroof, radio controls on back of steering wheel, overhead console etc. Owner by a detailed, cared for my a detailer .

You must be registered for see images attach

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The more aggressive the tire, the louder the noise......

smileyboy

Reaction score
What ATs are going to give me a 'quite, comfy' ride and decent off road performance.? Form what I can tell for my search. 31' tires are the only ones that will fit (without triming the fenders) after the 2.5 inch lift, correct?
thanks

Last edited:

smileyboy

Reaction score
I'll give you mine for 16k :). 44k w/ 85k warranty on the vehicle. All the options: heated leather, sunroof, radio controls on back of steering wheel, overhead console etc. Owner by a detailed, cared for my a detailer .

Thanks. but I'm not spending over $9k for the liberty I find.:D
My wife and I are getting out of debt and I'll be able to pay cash for it after I sell my Chevy 2500 HD. But, thanks for asking.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What ATs are going to give me a 'quite, comfy' ride and decent off road performance.? Form what I can tell for my search. 31' tires are the only ones that will fit (without trimming the fenders) after the 2.5 inch lift, correct?
thanks

You see mostly 245/75/16 (30.5") size tires on lifted KJ's and also 265/70/16 (30.6") size tires. The later requiring some trimming of the fenders due to its greater circumference (.5" wider). You can go smaller though with that lift but it would look silly (Marlon........ J/K).

knotwerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

hey where's your spare?

:D

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yeah, where is it? I ran like that for a while, looked GREAT at first, then... I grew to miss the spare hanging on the back.

Hey, I just realized... Donnie has the 45RFE! :D