Is my engine block heater working?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zerotact

Reaction score
OK, so it's getting cold here in MO, and wanting to get ready for my new jeep's 1st winter. Plugged in for the 1st time, and came back a few hours later, themp gauge was at 1/4.

2nd time, left on for 8 hours while sleeping, hopped in jeep, temp gauge does not move, it starts but makes that horrible noise diese engines make when cold.

3rd time, same as 2nd time...

Does the engine block heater warm things up to a point that the gauge moves, and the heater is warm as soon as to fire it up, or does the jeep still have to warm up?

At 10 amps worht of current drawn I'd think it would make lots of heat...

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Block Heater

If you have started the engine with the block heater plugged in (on) it may not be working anymore. By doing this it ruins the block heater by subjecting it to the colder coolant from distant areas of the engine, which shocks and causes it to burn itself out. Of course I did not find this out until I had ruined 2 of them. (Argh) It seems to be an obscure fact not made readily available by DC. They are a pain in the rear to install or replace.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Block Heater

valvestem said:
By doing this it ruins the block heater by subjecting it to the colder coolant from distant areas of the engine, which shocks and causes it to burn itself out.

New one on me. (Aeh)
I've owned Dodge RAM 2500's (yeah, it's not a CRD) since 1997 and I've occasionally left the truck running while the block heater was still plugged in with no ill affects.

If the water pump is simply pumping "partially heated" coolant across the block heater, how could that cause a failure any differently than it just being extremely cold ?
Greg

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt the block heater would get that hot, to effect the gauge. From what the owners manual says for my '04 V6, it says to use it when the temp is zero degrees or below. I did read someone saying to make sure it's on a timer, to come on about two hours before you want to to start it up, due to the draw and the cost of electricity. But I suppose that depends on where you live and if it's 50 below out, lol!

I also took a look at the '03 service manual that I have, and all it showed was how to remove/ replace an engine block heater, not a word about troubleshooting, or what would cause it to go bad, etc. :-k

Anyway, let us know how it works, as I have not used one. Fortunately I have a garage!

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen block heaters show a bit of temp on guages at start, but never 1/4. Also started many vehicles while block heater plugged in, never ruined one, is this a new thing with DC?

Try leaving engine cold, then plugging in. Open the hood. If the block heater is working, you will hear it working, I do on my 02 Limited.

Get a timer, anything more than 2-3 hours you're just wasting electricity unless it's REALLY cold. In the Northwest Territories some folks just leave their vehicles running 24/7!!!

zerotact

Reaction score
Update,
Took it into work and plugged it in. While plugged in I clamped and AMP Clamp to it, and it didn't so any current running to the heater.

The heater is a Pyroil brand, and the one they sell for Toyota 's advertises that you can get right into a car that blows warm air with one....
I think I got a dud...

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Block Heater

I may still have the paper that made the statement about running the engine with the heater plugged in and will try to make it available, if not, you'll have to take my word for it.(biggrin)

gsbrockman said:
valvestem said:
By doing this it ruins the block heater by subjecting it to the colder coolant from distant areas of the engine, which shocks and causes it to burn itself out.

New one on me. (Aeh)
I've owned Dodge RAM 2500's (yeah, it's not a CRD) since 1997 and I've occasionally left the truck running while the block heater was still plugged in with no ill affects.

If the water pump is simply pumping "partially heated" coolant across the block heater, how could that cause a failure any differently than it just being extremely cold ?
Greg

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what he means by that. When i was a little boy, I rememeber taking the heater out of my fish tank, and when i would heat up i would stick it back down in there and the heater would blow up. Hehe, trust, me i had not idea what i was doing!! I guess the water around the heater gets good and hot, then when u crank ur jeep, all that cold water hits it. Kind of like getting in a hot tube then getting into a cold pool, not fun at all!!

Old Navy

Reaction score
If you want real heat and toasty warm engine get a stant heater that mounts in the lower heat hose. You can get a 1500W one and it will defrost your windows without the engine running when it's -2F outside. I had one on my '02 Jetta TDI diesel and man it would bring the engine coolant to 190 (it was thermostate controled and have the oil warm enough for an oil change in about 2 hrs.

You can buy them even from JC Whitney on line.

Old Navy

Reaction score
Like I said I had one in the VW and it work like magic. Don't need it on our's since it is parked in a heated & insulated garage at night.

Bagger

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I guess the water around the heater gets good and hot, then when u crank ur jeep, all that cold water hits it. Kind of like getting in a hot tube then getting into a cold pool, not fun at all!!

Yea! You might be right - makes your thingy disappear rollinglaugh.gif

Latest posts

Members online