Is it chipped yo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if a Key for an 04 KJ has a chip in it? Mine only came with one and I would like to make one more so I didn't know if getting a factory blank and taking it to a hardware store would work or not, if the thing is chipped...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, why don't you just get one and try, if it stops you have Sentry Key installed, if it doesn't stall, then you are good to go. There was a programming guide somewhere, but I am not sure. Keys are fairly cheap on ebay (compared to dealer) I think $30 or so?
Let us know how it goes, because I also will need to make a few copies and keep them in different places.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother bought a '90's firebird for $200 that was missing the keys. The dealer checked all codes and could not figure out what the key was supposed to be, since this particular firebird VIN said it didn't come with security keys. long story short is we believe the VIN tags were from a different firebird, and installed on this one that had Trans-am parts. we measured the resistance of the little spot on the key, bought some resistors at radio shack, wired them together, cut the wires off the ignition key switch, wired our resistor pack in, and voila! no need for a security key in his car anymore... probably nothing like the Jeep Key of the '00's though... since there is no little dark bubble in the middle of the metal part of the key

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its a black key it ain't chipped... The Sentry key is the gray one. You have to have TWO working keys in a Sentry equipped vehicle and then you can program a third, but if you only have one working key then you have to get a dealer to program a second.

If you don't have a Sentry key then go and buy some nice keys and have them cut locally. I bought some nice Jeep/Chrysler OEM keys off eBay and had the local hardware store cut them for me, total investment of about $15 for two keys.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
I got less then 2 bucks in 2 keys for mine.....Walmart if you key is black! 1 is less then a $1.
They dont say Jeep tho...but who cares!