installing a steering wheel....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm going to be replacing mine.... it is pretty badly worn.
i found the HOW TO instructions... it seem very simple.
the only thing i was wondering about was the STEERING WHEEL PULLER... and where to either buy or possibly rent one. our cars use a puller that hook beneath the steering wheel as opposed to screwing into it.
so, if anyone knows where to find a PULLER, or how to go about renting/buying one.... the help would be appreciated.

A

GA05SPORT

Reaction score
I had this same issue and I actually used and extremely old little mini puller ( standard type with the hook arms ) and it popped the steering wheel right off. I was amazed!
I barely cranked down on the thing at all. 20 minutes later back together ( I installed radio controls ). If you have one of the arm pullers based on my experience it might be all that you need. Good Luck.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the difference between a $15 rental at a parts place and maybe a $20 purchase. The choice is yours. If you're not lucky enough to have the one chrysler uses, make sure you get a 6" 'gear puller' with hooks on the ends rather than a "universal" steering wheel puller, which uses threaded rods.

The center nut will likely be tougher to break than actually pulling the wheel off. ;)

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the difference between a $15 rental at a parts place and maybe a $20 purchase. The choice is yours. If you're not lucky enough to have the one chrysler uses, make sure you get a 6" 'gear puller' with hooks on the ends rather than a "universal" steering wheel puller, which uses threaded rods.

The center nut will likely be tougher to break than actually pulling the wheel off. ;)
6" gear puller? automotive store or hardware?
all the steering wheel pullers ive found are the ones that screw in.... i have seen the "hook legs" only, not a complete set.
i was going to rig one of the universal pullers by add nuts at the bottoms and using those as the 'legs' hooks... but i always prefer getting the right tool for the job.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you need to take any special precautions concerning the air bag module?
Thanks,
Bruce

yes... disconnect the battery, depress the brake to drain any remaining power, and i should be good to go.... i'll be sitting in the passenger seat during this process.:D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrecked XJ few years ago,airbag is bad mamajama,be carefull.
Yeah when I worked at the dealership we had to explode airbags that where replaced under a recall(GM cars),we had some fun with them and launched a metal garbage can about 75' in the air.Sadly the cops came after the 2nd one(there station is only 3 blocks away) and stopped us:mad:.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
It go boom

Had you read this:
Yeah when I worked at the dealership we had to explode airbags that where replaced under a recall(GM cars),we had some fun with them and launched a metal garbage can about 75' in the air.Sadly the cops came after the 2nd one(there station is only 3 blocks away) and stopped us:mad:.

you would have understood;)

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as the battery is disconnected and you discharge the capacitor, all will be fine. The puller is a form of gear puller, and it's a little tricky getting it to stay on just right to get it to pop off the shaft. Just watch your wiring, not just the airbag, but radio controls, cruise control, before you just rip the wheel off. If you'd like the page from the factory manual, let me know.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what year KJ we are talking about but on my '02 some fanatic put 'lock-tite' on the splines...

This is what happened when I tried to pull the steering wheel of:

You must be registered for see images

Get yourself a puller that fits 100%, or else have a JEEP dealer do it for you. This thing is a mayor PITA to pull of.

You must be registered for see images

Don't cheap out on a puller, either, because I did the first time, and it bent the damn puller arms! Ended up having to get another one anyway.