In Tank Electric Fuel Pumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw some posts about people filling their tanks when they were almost empty. I recently changed an in-tank fuel pump that went bad prematurely(in 15,000 miles or so) . I changed the original factory pump at around 150,000 miles. Gave the truck to my Son who continually ran it on empty. (I never did) Then the thing went south again at around 165,000 miles. Changed it again. It now has around 190,000 on it and no more fuel pump issues. He doesn't continuously run it low on gas any more. Maby it was just a bad pump? I believe this was due or at least aggrivated by continually running on empty - ALL THE TIME. The reason I say this is because the fuel pump is suspended in the tank and is actually cooled by the gas around it. If you're ALWAYS running on empty, then the fuel pump runs hotter than it needs to ALL THE TIME. So you are actually better off keeping your tank closer to full than empty at least most if not all the time.

The KJ fuel pump is electric and in the tank also.

This is just thoughts and observations on my part.

Just trying to save someone an unnecessary premature repair. The worst that will happen to you is you will have more gas in your tank.

Dave

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap, I run almost every tank down to "E"... my wife hates it with a passion when I do that.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The liberty usually has alot of gas left when the light comes on anyway. Ive never gotten over 17gal in it when it was dead on E, and I mean pegged. That means you should have around 3gal left when the guage says you are slap on E. This may not apply to liberty with the smaller tank. My 04 has a 19.5gal tank. I usually try to keep it over 1/4 tank at all times.. But I do drop below that sometimes.

The Grand Cherokee we have will be empty when the guage says its empty. So on vehicles like that, its best to NOT let it run low.

ashbinder

Reaction score
I find that when I let my fuel light come on, based on my avg fuel economy, I still tend to have 25 to 30 km of fuel left, which is based on the overhead computer. I wonder how accurate that is? Rare for me to do that - normally I just refill at half tank anyways. Makes the fill ups hurt less. :D

Thanks for the advice though, Dave!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Hi there,
I usually fill the tank when it's on a 1/4 tank.
I have run it completely empty once to see exactly how much the tank would hold. (75 liter = 19.81 gallons)
(ran it dry idling at the gas station. I know it's not good for the engine nor the environment...But it was a one time experiment!)

ry'

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when my fuel light comes on i got roughly 2.5 gallons left. but i do try to not let it get that low, because if you have ever dropped a fuel tank to replace a pump it ain't fun.