In limp mode but no engine light - help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pluto383

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2003 2.8L crd Cherokee/Liberty. It has done 65k miles. It has gone into a limp mode but with no cel. Tried clearing the mode but disconnecting battery and but the on off key trick but still in limp mode. Only have 2nd and 3rd gear, very slow acceleration, max 40 mph up a hill and only 60 down hill. Cleaned boost sensor, a bit gunky ( wet and sluggy ). Took it into the jeep dealer to get a diognosis and they said it was a seized waste gate valve. I've read post after post and people seem to be in two minds whether there is a gate gate valve or not, but looking through the workshop manual, it shows there is one and it looks like the garage is suggesting that the actuator in the waste gate is seized, not sure whether it is open or closed, but it has told the ecu to go into limp mode. From what I have read, dealers automatically blame the turbo for everything.

one point to mention is that when the car is turned off, there is a sucking noise coming from a black box with thin air tubes coming from and to it. It has a filter underneath it and one of the lines goes to the erg valve. This carries on sucking for a few minutes. I don't know if it is related.

I had a go at removing the turbo but got as far as removing the erg valve and cooler but couldn't get to the retaining nuts for the valve so had to stop and wanted to get clarification on the diagnosis before removing the exhaust manifold.

Everything is now back together while I debate what to do. If it is a stuck waste gate valve, is it something I can try and free if the turbo is removed or do I need to send it to a turbo centre?

When all the hoses were off, where was a good coating of oil in all of them even going through the air cooler before going into the intake manifold, is this right? I also checked that the turbine spun freely which it did and you can hear it whine happily when driving, it just isn't having any effect.

I'm no mechanic, I just like to fix as much as I can, which has worked in the past, but not sure if this is too much for me. I hope my terminology is near correct, I have done a bit of homework on it.

Can anyone help?

Attachments

• DSC_0181.jpg
    DSC_0181.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 36

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Euro CRD's from that year had a vacuum actuated wastegate and egr. Pic you posted looked to be the vacuum controller for one or both, and the sucking sound you described is most probably a vacuum leak. Could be you've got one or more bad vacuum lines and/or a bad vacuum controller. You could try replacing just the vacuum lines and see if that has any effect.

pluto383

Reaction score
Hi, that sounds like what I have got. Would a leak in the vacuum hoses cause the turbo to stop working and put the car into limp mode?

pluto383

Reaction score
This is the other end of the thin hose from the vacuum controller that goes to the egr valve.

Attachments

• DSC_0182.jpg
    DSC_0182.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 25

flman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, that sounds like what I have got. Would a leak in the vacuum hoses cause the turbo to stop working and put the car into limp mode?

If it is vacuum operated and has a hose leaking, that would be my first plan of attack.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If the wastegate on the turbo is vacuum operated, then yes. Could be that the dealer techs were right in that the wastegate isn't operating - but were wrong as to the cause.

If they used those hard plastic lines for the vacuum lines, those are notorious for getting brittle and cracking with heat and age. I've got an '87 MB 300D, and they used those hard lines for all the vacuum functions. As those cars age, they're notorious for developing vacuum leaks all over the place.

journeyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mitchell south dakota from may through oct every y
In the first picture post, it looks like the same controller that I have on mine.
There shouldn't be any noise from it after the engine it turned off.
A smoke machine may be needed to find the vacuum leak, unless just a few feet of hose can just be replaced.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 2002 2.5 CRD Euro spec, it also has the black plastic box with the tubes going to it as your picture shows.
Mine also carries on hissing for a few minutes after switching off...it has done this since brand new and yet I have no problems at all...Jeep goes perfectly well.