I want to keep the original stereo...But?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 02 Liberty Sport. It has a CD and Cassette Radio. I think it's the better Infinity system, with the amps in the front doors. Not sure, haven't pulled off the door panels yet. It has a din plug in the back, for a CD changer, that is missing.
Anyway, my problem is that only the right front and left rear speakers work. I'd like to keep the original head unit, but get all the speakers working again.
As the schematics look, it appears that the front speaker amps, also provide power to the rear speakers.
Any ideas how to fix this?
Thanks.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you try switching the front speakers? I think if you have the infinity system, you should be able to switch it easily but just disconnecting the connector.
I think your speakers are blown. If so you'll just need to replace it with a similar diameter speaker. I think they are 5 ohm speakers.

I changed my front with infinity 6032cf and kept the original infinity amplifier but required some basic wiring work.

Yes, the front amp does power the rear speaker.

this thread might help
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/front-speaker-replacement-56871/

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my infinity speakers I changed them all out much happier cost money but I got an older alpine radio at a pawn shop for $30 and some cheap kenwood coax speakers like $30 for a pair I never looked back and with the alpine radio there are many more options iPod connector aux cable bass treble high pass filter option for a subwoofer which I went for a jbl cs1214 $50 I call my system semi premium because it's all cheap stuff that sounds great together this link shows the sub bouncing

http://youtu.be/uCFSntQwXyQ

Kriszilla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the amp is still good and the speakers are blown, it's definitely worth the soldering time to just replace the drivers.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I wrote my first post. My 02' dropped a valve, and trashed the engine. I put $2000 worth of new parts into her. And I didn't want to "give" my Jeep away for $700. That is the best offer I got for it, with a toasted motor. I liked my Liberty so much, I went and bought another one. This one is a 04' and it has a RBK radio in it. Since then...I started stripping the 02' for the parts, especially all the brand new parts I installed. Besides the radio, there are a lot of differences between the 02' and the 04'. It has a different transmission, exhaust system (which is brand new on the 02') And to be perfectly honest, everything seems cheaply made on the 04". It just doesn't look as well made as the 02'. I wish I could just swap engines, but it wont fit the trans. Right now I am busy taking off "everything I can. Some parts will go into the new Liberty, others will be sold or given to other Jeep friends on this site. My way of saying THANK YOU, for all the help and advice everyone has given me! Oh, I pulled the front door panels, and it just has regular speakers, no amps. I am disappointed. But I am hoping to swap the radio, if the connectors are the same. Otherwise I'll have to chop the wires, and solder the wiring harness. As I am still a fan of cassette tapes! But this all depends on if RBP is still working... I haven't tested out the old speakers yet. I hope that was my only problem!

I've only had the 04' for less then a week now. Still discovering "all" the differences...
I didn't think all the major changes occurred until the 05' model year...
But it looks like they made minor and major changes to these Jeeps, from month to month. So you don't know what you have, unless you take a close look at it!

Even the spare tire jack has changed! Looks like the 02' used a mechanical bottle jack, and the 04" came with a scissor type jack. Neither of mine were complete. parts were missing from both. But I was just missing the lug wrench on he 02". The 04' was missing the jack and part of the extension to lift the Jeep!

Why all the changes? Because the lowest bidder, for the parts, always get's the contract.

Think about it like the space shuttle... The Lowest bidder get's to supply the parts...

Sure we can land a man on the moon, with the cheapest parts, from the lowest bidder...
I made my point, enough said.

Metalmoto

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing some of the differences that you've found. I mean, we all know about the suspension height, the transmission, etc. It's the little things, particularly the ones that you said were cheapened.

Are you 100% sure that the 04 3.7l wont mate up to the '02 ******? I didn't think that the bellhousings were different, or the back casting of the blocks.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that there is a way to get the 2004 transmission to mate to the 2002 transmission. There is a engine swap thread outlining how to do this.
here is the name of the thread.
Engine Swap Overview

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just gonna say where in the f is the jack and then i remembered. I have the 02 almost 170k and still going.