I have to kiss her goodbye!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ae0022

Reaction score
So I got into a low speed slide on a patch of gravel and hit the chrome bumper of a pickup truck. My 2005 Renegade with only 54000 miles on it has been declared a total loss by my insurance company. I have babied this thing since I got it and other than noisy front swaybar bushings, it was mechanically and cosmetically perfect. I have never had a a better 4x4 in my life! I worst of the damage is the lower rad support that would have to be drilled at the spot welds and a new on welded in place but the engine and all of the accessories were untouched by the impact. The title has already been branded as a salvaged vehicle and I hear that the inspection process to get it back on the road is long and painful. I'm just about to sign off on the settlement but I love this jeep so much I'm having a hard time letting her go.

Attachments

• DSC_0458.jpg
    DSC_0458.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_0464.jpg
    DSC_0464.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0465.jpg
    DSC_0465.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0463.jpg
    DSC_0463.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0459.jpg
    DSC_0459.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 54

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow that totally *****, sorry to hear of this unfortunate mishap.
I agree with HJ. 54 k miles is nothing, like new ha ha.. Buy it back a possibility?
IDK but I bet I could fix it for a reasonable price, and then deal with the inspections.
I know labor adds up but, what are they offering? Probably the insurance shop/ high$ estimate damage is greater than cash to ya.?

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't look that bad. I would fight to keep it.

Dave

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like the others said, doesn't look bad enough to total such a low mileage vehicle. Wish I could get a hold of it, I need an engine and nothing around here with that sort of mileage for a decent price.

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. And can relate. I would like to know how many on this forum have written off a daily driver? Although I understand your all trying to be helpful, the logistics of taking a "Salvage" or " total loss" or "written off" vehicle and repairing it and getting it re-insured sound to me like a pain in the ass. Yes it may look "easily repairable", but if the damage is structural, whether to the uni body, or roof line, It's probably not worth it, UNLESS it's what you do for a living.

Bert

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
perhaps our frozen northern friends have more strict regulations in terms of vehicle repair after an accident.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
perhaps our frozen northern friends have more strict regulations in terms of vehicle repair after an accident.

I'm wondering the same thing. But, straightening structural elements is not a fun or inexpensive thing.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing. But, straightening structural elements is not a fun or inexpensive thing.

oh i dunno about that. I fixed the car's crunched front end with a piece of 2" square steel tubing, a 5# sledge, a lot of pent up anger and frustration, and about 5# of welding wire. :D
only took me about 2 hours to get the new fender to fit right,enough.

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes we do, especially if the vehicle is 10 years older or more. They don't want vehicles older than 10 years on the road so they do what they can to write it off.

Recently someone I know had a 2002 Lincoln town car and they rolled in to a newer f150 at a stop light. Supposedly $19,000 in damages. Instant total loss. The repair estimate had some questionable things on it. $3000 for the left headlight assembly for example. Yet a replacement radiator was listed as $119.

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score

To be honest, I never even realised (with an "s" I may add) that the OP was also located in Canada until I read your post, so you may be onto something.

Bert

ae0022

Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to try to get it back (fingers crossed). I'm sure that I can fix it myself, the lower rad support will have to be replaced but the rest is pretty much bolt on stuff.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to try to get it back (fingers crossed). I'm sure that I can fix it myself, the lower rad support will have to be replaced but the rest is pretty much bolt on stuff.

Go for it ae0022....

Dave

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Insurance Co's are so cruel!

if you dont fix it im sure someone will! After all, theres over 200k miles to go on that Jeep!

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were my jeep my every instinct would be to try to save it. But they kind of already screwed you over by making the title salvage. Not sure how big a pain it will be to get it certified for the road again, in some states it's not so bad.

For the insurance company they look at it as preventing a nickel and diming to death scenario. Our neighbor has a 06 Honda wanna be jeep, forget the model, she had a front end collision worse than this and had to fight the insurance company to fix it. They did only to have the shop miss the transmission mounts were sheared, eventually the insurance company had to replace the transmission too, they told her they should have totaled it out to begin with. That's the kind of thinking the insurance companies have behind it on any older vehicle.

If your buy it back as salvage it is not worth a lot, think hundreds not thousands. At least that's how it was years ago at the junk yard I worked at.
They would have people who wrecked a car and thought junk yards would pay what was left on their loan for it. In reality they'd pay a few hundred for average wrecked cars, and thousands for late model stuff.

I did know somebody who rebuild late model salvaged titles cars, the inspection wasn't so bad in Florida. But the margin for profit was razor thin cause the rebuilt salvage title was worth considerably less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ae0022

Reaction score
Dont beat on me too badly, but I had to get a new jeep for the Missus to drive while I repair my hurt one:
You must be registered for see images attach

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From experience - on an older vehicle; salvage, mileage or anything else means nothing! The car is already at a lowered value do to its age. it doesnt matter what its worth on paper! Its what its worth to you or the next owner!

ae0022

Reaction score
It's waaay more valuable to me. I know it's history, how it's been driven, and the severity of the impact when I crashed it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am so pleased to hear that you may have the KJ Back!
I look at it this way, with a bit of help from weld shop and some personal knuckle busting with parts, your low mile KJ will be riding in style again!!
(libsilver)
oh Ah and with a few (beerthought)we hope to see the re-build posts in action!:gr_grin:
Maybe even find/save up for a steel front bumper?

Last edited: