Hybrid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were offered would any of you urban SUV'ers trade your CRD, or petrol Libbys for a Hybrid that looked exactly like it. I'm still weary of the Hybrid technology, and bad battery life.

I'm looking into the future of chrysler, I think the bigest problem is that fuel costs are driving more and more people into these 30-50 mpg vehicals. I for one love the reliablilty of my good ol' 3.7 EFI.. but if it were offered to me right now, I would look into a hybrid SUV. (please dont suggest the explorer, fords make me want to (blarg) ) I've seen a few of these 'Hybrid Monsters' as I call them, I kind of laugh, but then wonder, what kind of milage does a hybrid suburban get?!?

I'd just like to get some of our users thoughs on the way the market is headed for chrysler, and what you think might turn the company around, What kind of features really matter to you on a new car?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I wanted mpg's I would not have bought a Jeep.Having a hybrid Jeep is even more worthless and will only degrade the Jeep name(beyond what the compass,patriot,commandor already have).To complicated and not yet able to take the offroad abuse,the sole reason I bought a Jeep.

My 2 cents.

Oh and your actually causing more damage to the enivorment having a hybrid then burning straight gas in the long run.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they offered a Hybrid Liberty with the 02-04 body style I would probably buy it--most of the hybrid technologies out there now have been around long enough to prove they're not going to die out on you, at least within the first few years...

The only other SUV in general I would buy (Assuming it was a non-Jeep) would be the Ford Escape, which is offered in Hybrid, so yeah. Prius...no thank you. Commander, however, I would love to see in a Hybrid, even if it only got 25 mpg--I freaking love the way those things look :D

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I wanted mpg's I would not have bought a Jeep.Having a hybrid Jeep is even more worthless and will only degrade the Jeep name(beyond what the compass,patriot,commandor already have).To complicated and not yet able to take the offroad abuse,the sole reason I bought a Jeep.

My 2 cents.

Oh and your actually causing more damage to the enivorment having a hybrid then burning straight gas in the long run.

Its a good point to be raised that most of the technology used on hybrids has never been tested off road. I can only image the weight of the hybrid system will weigh more than the gas systems. not to mention, could you imagin seeing a hybrid hood deep in water? lol i would be scared to be near that water.

I look forward to what Jeep does next. I think the biggest mistake in history of jeep is trying to put square headlights on the TJs.. WTF.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, that hybrid tahoe gets like 21mpg, thats something to be proud of... I would much rather have my Jeep and given that gas is lower than its been in years, Im laughing at people driving little cars..

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the sad fact is, people who actually use their Jeep's as offroad vehicle is being out numbered by those who use them as mall crawlers.

I personally wouldn't be interested in a hybrid model.

I think the only Jeep that's even remotely a "Jeep" is the new JK, and some people even question that.

I think if Jeep is going to survive, they need to get back to their roots.

My $.02

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade my gas jeep for a hybrid.

As to hybrid's in general, personally I do not like them as they are now. The manufacturing and technology is mega polluting when compared to that of a gas vehicle. That is when you compare the manufacturing process of each. But the technology will continue to develop and someday we'll probably be driving carbon fiber bodied, solar panel integrated electric motor vehicles. Or something like that.

Electric motors develop instant torque and someday someone will figure out how to make them work and be practical. Some have been already developed on an experimental basis but they are not practical. An electric (and practical) jeep with instant torque??? Who knows.

But I'll keep what I got for now.

Just some thoughts.

Dave

DnvrJeepGuy

Reaction score
I'd definitely like a CRD as opposed to the gas engine I have now, but I don't want anything to do with a hybrid...

Members online

No members online now.