how to tell if you have the off road package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a quick way to tell if a KJ came with the offroad package? I guess you could crawl under it and check for skid plates but is there anything you might be able to see in an online classified ad that shows pictures?

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a quick way to tell if a KJ came with the offroad package? I guess you could crawl under it and check for skid plates but is there anything you might be able to see in an online classified ad that shows pictures?

I believe The tow hooks are also part of the off road package But I've seen some KJs (Even Renegades) with them and no skids.

Also Another Note. Most 02-04 KJs came with a Front Engine Skid only from the factory. So if you are looking at a KJ of that year. Don't take the sellers word if they says it has skid plates becuase it may only have one skid plate.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If it has all four skids (engine, ******, t case, gas tank) and hooks, and Trac Lock, it has the offroad package....:)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it has all four skids (engine, ******, t case, gas tank) and hooks, and Trac Lock, it has the offroad package....:)

Yup, that is what was it but it also included the OEM rock rails.

2 ways to tell especially if you got it used because people can add or take things off.

Best way = get a build sheet on it. It will say what was on it when it left the factory.

2nd best way = look for the skids, hooks, and rock rails. Then get under it and read the axle tag and see if it says trac-loc on it. This is not a sure fire way. As I said, things like skids and hooks and rock rails can be removed or added.

Dave

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, that is what was it but it also included the OEM rock rails.

2 ways to tell especially if you got it used because people can add or take things off.

Best way = get a build sheet on it. It will say what was on it when it left the factory.

2nd best way = look for the skids, hooks, and rock rails. Then get under it and read the axle tag and see if it says trac-loc on it. This is not a sure fire way. As I said, things like skids and hooks and rock rails can be removed or added.

Dave

You really have to do both. Get a build sheet, and then crawl under there and look too. I've looked at 4 KJ's that were supposed to have offroad packages. ALL were missing at least one of the items. There were either deleted when it was ordered, or taken off.

oddball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm under the impression one cannot get a build sheet without proof of current ownership?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my 2007, the off road package included hooks, skids, 235/70/16's and a power steering cooler.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I believe The tow hooks are also part of the off road package But I've seen some KJs (Even Renegades) with them and no skids.

Also Another Note. Most 02-04 KJs came with a Front Engine Skid only from the factory. So if you are looking at a KJ of that year. Don't take the sellers word if they says it has skid plates becuase it may only have one skid plate.

Mine never came with skids...hook..nuttin'.:mad:

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does not have hooks, I am not sure about skids, I have not been under it.

Is the track lock or a limited slip?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "off road package" really means NOTHING
ours came with no skids and no hooks and now has both
one day it will have a Detroit locker and rock rails

The way I see it is they way I bought my TJ
'02 TJ sport ,dana 44 rear, I6 and auto with 29K on it never off road $16K
'03 Rubi ,auto, 32K on it minor trail rash $21K
for $5K I can put 4.10's ,ARB front and a Detroit rear and almost an Atlas T-case
waste of money for the Rubi
same as paying for the factory/dealer installed KJ off road stuff over priced and the much better after market can be had for the same price

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "off road package" really means NOTHING
ours came with no skids and no hooks and now has both
one day it will have a Detroit locker and rock rails

The way I see it is they way I bought my TJ
'02 TJ sport ,dana 44 rear, I6 and auto with 29K on it never off road $16K
'03 Rubi ,auto, 32K on it minor trail rash $21K
for $5K I can put 4.10's ,ARB front and a Detroit rear and almost an Atlas T-case
waste of money for the Rubi
same as paying for the factory/dealer installed KJ off road stuff over priced and the much better after market can be had for the same price

If you are looking at used Jeeps though the offroad package is probably not going to add much of anything to the price....

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you are looking at used Jeeps though the offroad package is probably not going to add much of anything to the price....

x2....dealers probably don't even check for it or notice it.

New they can charge more though....

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to visit a Chrysler dealership with the VIN# and ask them for a build sheet. Plus there are websites that offer the service.

I believe you can identify the Trac Loc axle by a label on the rear axle tube, behind the tire.

My Liberty Sport had the Trail Rated medallion but not a single skid plate or tow hook.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Liberty Sport had the Trail Rated medallion but not a single skid plate or tow hook.
I believe all 4x4 Liberties have the Trail Rated badge. My 06 Limited has it and it doesn't even have skid plates or tow hooks.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
You should be able to visit a Chrysler dealership with the VIN# and ask them for a build sheet. Plus there are websites that offer the service.

I believe you can identify the Trac Loc axle by a label on the rear axle tube, behind the tire.

x2

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You missed the point
I was looking for a Rubi
I figured out that I could have the same Jeep with better parts for the same money
You can do the same when looking fir a used KJ
find 1 that is 4wd ,if you dont need the full time 4wd for snow and stuff
then your search gets even easier
find one with the 231 T-case and add what you need/want
why spend the time looking for one with the Trash lock, a Detroit Locker works 100X better or if you need a milder diff then a True Track is 10X better and just as noticeable as the trash lock
The factory skids seem fine on my '03 but they were bought new in '03
and I abuse the heck out of the factory fuel tank skid on my TJ which is basically the same as the one on the KJ
The ****** skid is not worth the metal it is made from so to me that must be after market ,I had one built to suite my needs

What I can promise you is this
buy any 4wd KJ
put on skids OEM and the after market ******
get the OEM front hooks and a rear hitch
install the Detroit locker in the rear and a stock TJ will have problems trying to follow you
Lift it and install rock rails ,after market ones, and some good MT's
and a stock TJ will not be able to follow you and even a TJ with a BB
some 31's and sway bar disconnects will not be able to follow
How ever leave the Locker out of the picture and you dont have much
no matter what any one tells you and no matter what you drive
IFS brings the suck off road
a Toyota FJ on 34 X 9.5 LTB's can not even come close to following my dinky little TJ on 32's

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A Rubi though is gonna be a lot more than a Sport TJ, as it's another trim level.

However, a KJ with the off road package is not a trim level, and most dealers probably won't notice it. But a Rubicon is easy to spot.

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife totaled her minivan and now she wants the Liberty I just bought. I may let her have it and buy me another one. If I do I would like to find one with the off road package. That would save me a lot of money compared to adding all that stuff.

I saw an 04 at Car Max that has a good price and mileage, probably because it is a straight drive, which I happen to like. It does not have tow hooks and probably does not have the off road package......

Latest posts

Members online