How To Starter Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Mine's a 2004, so it's the same - I assume.

Can't speak for the others as have no knowledge of them, although I have driven an Escape, but I agree they're not in the same league.

However, none of that explains why some things are needlessly difficult.

I could change the front drive shaft on an XJ in less time than it takes to remove the bolts on a KJ.

The airfilter box defeated my 1st 2 attempts to remove it & at the 3rd go, got very close to taking a hammer to it, as it had to come out - in however many pieces. Why? Because I was replacing the ABS sensor, having discovered the hard way, that it won't come out of the hub without destroying it!

For all its competence, I wouldn't risk taking one too far from civilisation because it's just too difficult to fix by the roadside - never mind out on a trail. I know people do & I have nothing but admiration & respect for them.
It somewhat depends on your year. Mine is the pre-facelift (2002), so it has a cable throttle body, etc. and is marginally simpler.

Overall though, if you consider how small this vehicle is, it is a marvel that they were able to pack a real 4wd system with mechanical TC, decent V6, IFS, ABS, etc., in one package. I can't think of another vehicle this size that has as many (real) functional features - not a RAV4, CRV, Escape, not even a wrangler (4 door is much larger).

Trainmaster

Reaction score
Just for the record, I've changed starters in several 3.7L 2005's. Removed the front drive shaft and didn't have to touch the exhaust.